Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran combofix w/out saving first

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 9789

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

I'm an idiot and ran combofix (suggested by a computer tech friend of mine) without reading the tutorial first. So, I ran it without saving it to my desktop and I didn't move my downloads on my computer before running it. I have the overview of what was cleaned left in notepad and that's it. I pretty much can't open anything on my computer (even notepad). The error message reads "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion". Is there anyway I can fix this problem since the combofix program and what it quarantined from my computer is not saved on my computer?

Edited by boopme, 16 December 2011 - 10:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

It is indeed not recommended to run Combofix unsupervised, but in this case just restart your computer once. That should fix the problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users