Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers working, no sound

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hi,

Ok, I did call Logitec & the speakers are fine. as they worked on the cell, but my computer isn't picking it up.

It was working fine, then I moved & now they aren't working.

We tested it by me plugging it into the green connection on the back, as well as the one in the front.

Drivers seem to be up-to-date as I tried to update them via device manager area & it said they were the latest.

I am having soooo many problems with this computer lately. I had to buy a new video card & it's sitting here in a box waiting for me to find someone to install it since I have no clue. There's no way the sound card just went roughly the same time. That's too much of a coincidence.

The computer is only around 6 years old, with a brand new HD, memory & power supply I got earlier this year.

I moved to Panama in the last 8 months. I don't know if it's the humidity or what, but this is driving me crazy.

Even my time clock is having issues.

When we had the time change (there is no time change here), I think I still had my computer set to daily savings time & it changed the time. I tried to chance it back, but it wouldn't take. I had to do it a couple of times & finally it took.

Now when e-mail comes into my TB (thunderbird), it reads as one hour behind. No one has been able to help me with that either :(

HELP PLEASE

Michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:34 AM

What media software(ex. VLC, Winamp, WMP)do you use to stream or play music? Posting the system specs of the computer will help also. Do you see any muted red icon by your system tray?

Tekken

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Here it is...

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CRkkrY6Qmsgw1ptxdCgYAxS

VLC & WMP, whatever opens the file, I never know. It just does it on its own.

No red check anywhere.

Like I said, all was working fine before I moved.

Thanks

Michelle

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hi...I've been to Panama also and the humidity should not be an issue as long as your electronics are in a reasonable environment.

Did you try running the XP Sound Troubleshooter?

As for drivers...having the most current...has no impact at all on whether the current ones are damaged. I suggest going to Device Manager and uninstalling the sound drivers...then rebooting and reinstalling same from either the drivers CD or the system/motherboard/soundcard website.

You might also ensure that the volume controls for sound...are not on mute settings.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

The system waas moved. THat leads me to believe that the speakers are plugged into the wrong jack or not in all the way.
Make sure they are in the lime green jack and make sure that the mixer isnt muted and that the volume is up.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Ok, I don't know how to to run the XP Sound Troubleshooter, pls. explain.

How do I uninstall & reinstall the drivers again?

None of the volume controls have changed. As I said, it was working fine before I moved. I took a look just in case my computer changed them on its own, but no, nothing is checked off.

Thank you

Michelle
P.S. My computer has had to endure a lot of power surges, black & brownouts in the last 3 months. I finally moved from that terrible house. I even have to get a new UPS & will have to switch from APC since APC in the US can't get anyone here in Latin America to give me service. Service in LA, especially Panama, is soooo bad, it makes you want to shoot someone.

#7 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

I don't understand why people online can't read simple English, really it irks me to no end.

I ALREADY stated that Logitec & me troubleshot everything & I'm NOT stupid, I know how to plug speakers into an outlet all the way.

Michelle

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

FWIW: IMO, it doesn't help...when someone seeking assistance...exhibits pique at questions, suggestions, etc.

As for uninstalling the drivers...go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter) and scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers...click p;us sign. Tell us what detail if reflected.

The Sound Troubleshooter can be found by using the XP Help menus. Just follow the flow.

Louis

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I posted that suggestion because I have seen it happen too many times when a system has been moved.
Moving the system is the only change. Which still leads me to believe something is not plugged in correctly.
Its easy to assume that the connections are right and overlook something very simple.

Do the speakers pop when you plug them in?

Whats the make/model of the system please.

For your clock, make sure that your time zone is set correctly.

#10 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I am not able to do all the uninstall & install driver stuff without help. I just don't want to risk it or getting into the heavy device manager stuff. I did read the troubleshooting area, but it was all simple stuff that was already all covered. I stopped at the device manager area.

I'm trying to find someone to help me with the above.

Eye - yes I know the only common denominator is the move, but I unplugged & replugged them in about 7 times, even into different colored spots b/c before I'm not sure it was working in the green one. And as I said already, Logitec was on the phone with me & we plugged it in then too. He confirmed it's the PC NOT the speakers. I said this already.

Even in the front connection it's not working, but yes, when I plug it in, it makes a pop & loud crackling noise. That's a question no one has asked me yet, so congrats on that :)

I pasted the stats of my entire computer above in one of my posts. Here it is again.... http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CRkkrY6Qmsgw1ptxdCgYAxS

The time has been set properly since I got here. This has nothing to do with the time being wrong. I have a ton of things that are wrong with this computer that no one can figure out. I've been trying to find a die hard geek who knows his stuff & can fix these issues remotely, but finding someone like that is hard to come by.

The speaker problem now is just one more thing that will get added to the list <sigh>

Thanks

Michelle

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

The Specy report states that the drivers are installed and functioning correctly.
What I want to see is the conections on the back of the system.
Can you please post the make/model so we can look that up?

Also try this: Click start - control panel - go to the sounds and audio devices icon then the sounds tab.
Pick "start windows" because it is a long sound.
There is a play button with a triangle in it below that.
Is the button greyed out or is it black?
Click it and see what happens.

If the button is black that means the drivers are installed and functioning as speccy reports.
If it is greyed out they are not.

Do you have a volume control icon that looks like a speaker in the system tray by the clock?
Please right click on it and select open volume control.
Please confirm that nothing is muted and that the volume levels are 3/4th of the way up all the way across.

I know you said that Logitec had you check a bunch of stuff. But we have no way off knowing what.
So please do all this for us as this is a process of elimination and they may have missed something.

If all of the above work there are only three other possibilities as I see it.
1. The speakers are not powered on or getting power.
2. The volume control on the speakers themselves is all the way down
3. The speakers are plugged into the wrong jack or are not cabled correctly

Please placate us and double check all of the above.
Posting the model of the speakers would help too.

I would find it hard to believe that both the front and back jacks on the system are bad
Something else has to be going on

Edited by Eyesee, 17 December 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#12 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

I know you are trying to help, but you aren't listening to me & that bothers me a lot.

I already told you I tried everything.

The light is on the power button so of course there power & I can hear the wush & crackling when I plug it into the connections. You asked me that before & I told you.

If the speakers weren't working, they wouldn't work on my cell RIGHT???

The volume is NOT all the way down. Do you think I'm that stupid? In fact I'm so nervous that if it actually starts to work, it's going to cause me a heart attack, that's how loud the volume is b/c these speakers are very powerful. I always have them on low volume.

This PC is a clone. I don't buy brand name computers. If you still want to see a picture, I'll try & take one tomorrow, as it's hard in the dim light in this room & it's night time.

It's the PID A810.

Yes the play button in the sound area is black for all the entries that have sound.

I just spent time again unplugging the speakers & putting them into another electrical outlet on the same power bar, of course nothing.

I unplugged the speakers from the green outlet & put it into the pink & blue. None of them works.

I don't know what to tell you. It's NOT the speakers or the connections. I wish it was that simple.

Thanks

Michelle

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I am listening to you.
One has to ask questions to get to the correct solution. Sometimes lots of questions.
We here do not know what "I tried everything" means. You have to be our eyes.
Sometimes it is very easy to miss something that is simple.

Since this is a custom system are you using the onboard sound or is there a custom sound card in the system?
If there is a cusom sound card in the system what is the model number of it.
Speccy reports a Realtek leading me to believe that you are using the onboard sound.

The system is acting like the sound is muted.

#14 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

No, no custom card that I know of, so yes, I assume it's the one from the MB.

Well I told you I'm having TONS of problems with my computer & I've been looking for someone to fix the problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if whatever is causing this (virus, someone who's hacking me, whatever) has turned off my speakers somehow <sigh>

Look what's happening with TB, the time was all fine until the time change, then all of a sudden the e-mails can't show the correct time.

Exhausting.

Michelle

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Have you check BIOS Setup? to make sure that your onboard audio has enabled not at disabled position?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users