Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help my Xp is having major problems!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

Hi all I am having a major problem with my desktp Windows Xp home addition. First it started acting funny link shutting down for no reason after it was on a bit. Then it began going to the cmos page. It would tell me press F1 for this. and F9 for that. The main warning was to reset the CPU settings in cmos. I have no slue what that means. I try to default settings but it did not work. I changed the Motherboard battery, It still wont work. I am at a loss I need help to get this thing up and running. Also I checked the heating and it was fine it was not over heating.

HELP! :lmao:

I would so appreciate any help I can get at this time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

You installed a new CMOS battery properly...reset the default settings in the BIOS and saved the changes...and you still get these uncommon error messages?

Please...try to be exact when providing info re error messages...they are the only path we have to visualize what might be going on with your system.

Louis

#3 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

As stated above I tried resetting the default but for whatever reason it is not working. I checked the date in the main menu it Has June 2007. so it is way off. I tried setting it but do not know how to reset the time. So humm.

I did tell you what the computer said about. It only takes me to the this screen.

Okay here is the screen that keep showing up. However I am not getting anything in Bios.

I have a warning it says the CPU has been changed. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quite.

WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN??

Under that it has,
Press F8 To Enable system config
Press F9 To select Booting Device after post
Press F1 To Continue, DEL to enter Setup.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

When a CMOS battery is changed...the first thing that must be reset in the BIOS...is the date/time data. The BIOS contains instructions for changing these settings, there is no standard, so go into your BIOS main screen...read the data presented...make the changes to correct time/date...then hit F10 to save the changes.

My experience is that using the wrong date will create problems for Windows, if user is able to boot successfully.

A general reference on CMOS/BIOS, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/tp/clearcmos.htm .

Louis

#5 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

I changed the date and time. However the only thing that would not change was the month. I cannot seem to get it to change. any ideas? Also the page it loads to which I stated above it says floppy disk failed (40) What does that mean? What is also weird when I have to press F1 Del it takes me to the windows well interesting that now a floppy disk logo appears in my Computer and it says to install disc.. What the heck is all this? lol I never had a floppy disc appear there before.

Edited by Hisbeauty4ashes, 17 December 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

It really would help if you would post the make and model of the computer as was requested by hamluis above.

The floppy failed message is because the Bios settings were reset. Default in your Bios after a reset is that a floppy drive is present. If no Floppy drive then you get that message. To fix that go into the Bios and locate the page where the floppy setting is shown and set it to no floppy drive and that message will go away. Be careful not to change other settings.

The date and time can also be set in windows. Easiest way is to go to the control panel and look for where it says "Date and Time". After clicking on that and opening it choose the tab marked "Internet Time" and then from that Tab choose "Update Now". It will synchronize and set the date and time properly.

Edited by rotor123, 17 December 2011 - 02:59 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

I am sorry I was not sure what was stated above. My desktop is an Enpower and it is XP Home addition.
I was able to set the time. It did not make a difference. I have tried to find the company online but with no such luck thus far.

#8 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

This issue us solved. :thumbsup:

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

How did you fix it?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

When I went into Bios I had change the BIOS. IN Bios somewhere there is a section that tells the system what drive to boot from . . HDD, CD or FDD . . different BIOS will have it in different places . . but it should be there.

You want to set it to boot first from HDD (Hard drive), Second is CD and disable all other options.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Did you get rid of the floppy drive error? Turning the floppy selection off in the Bios should make it disappear in My Computer too. This presumes there is no floppy drive in the computer.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#12 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

No I tried and it wont go away. Humm Not sure why. Also now my computer still turns off almost every two hours I have been having a problem with that. Now I checked the heat settings it seemed fine but I may check as it is on every hour to half hour just to make sure it is not over heating. However the fans are still running so not sure what is going on there. I might check like my avg TO SEE IF IT IS SET TO SCAN THEN TURN OFF EVERY FEW HOURS. HUMMM :busy:

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

There is a setting in the Bios to elect No floppy, and usually several size floppy drives too. Have you looked in the Bios to see if there is a hardware monitor section? That section will display voltages and temps.

Sometimes there will also be fan controls settings as well as shutdown temp settings.

Have you checked the CPU Heatsink to be sure it is clean?

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#14 Hisbeauty4ashes

Hisbeauty4ashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Okay HA HA How do I do the first step?

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well it looks like Enpower is gone to where dead computer makers go.

However it seems that they used motherboards from makers that are still in business. If you take of the left hand side looking at it from the front you should see a make and or model for the motherboard. From that information finding the manual will be easy.

Another possibility is a picture looking in from the side shooting from a 90 degree angle to the motherboard so nothing is obscured.
Or run the free version of this and post the information it provides.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 19 December 2011 - 01:16 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users