Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Several malware scanners

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Can Several malware scanners work together because I had net problems today and I uninstalled Super Anti Spyware Free and my net works fine.

My other scanners are:
AVAST! Antivirus
Secunia PSI
Emsisoft Malware Scanner. This program has resident drivers. Can they conflict with Super Anti Spyware Free?

This happened me today: I was closing my computer and Super Anti Spyware did not closed up properly. Windows Said: Wait. Shutting down program. After that message: This program can't close itself.

My CHKDSK also found some free space marked reserved. Can somebody tell me how this error happens?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Are you running Version 5 of SuperAntiSpyware?
If not, upgrade to it. The program should have prompted you to do so.
I have been using SAS for years, many times daily, and I have never had an issue with it.

Can you tell us what your net problems were?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

My net sometimes switched off so contact was bit shaky and pages were slow to respond. After I ran CHKDSK fix and uninstalled that SAS everything works fine.

Clock is almost 6AM were I am. I need go to bed.

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 16 December 2011 - 10:54 PM.

#4 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:55 AM

Sorry for double posting. I have question here:
Is here ANYBODY who can read windows event viewer logs? Those logs maybe contain some answers.

#5 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

not all on demand scanner are the same

On demand scanner with no Realtime Protection won't collide with the other Realtime
but be sure not let them delete any False Positives
you can use :
Malwarebyte
Superantispyware
Hitmanpro
Emisoft antimalware / emisoft antimalware Emergency scanner

there are couple of others Like Prevex Free
but those mentioned are the Best

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Can Several malware scanners work together

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Terminator, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware.

Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections. Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

If using multiple real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc.) together at the same time, there can be conflicts as a result of the overlap in protection. These conflicts are typical when similar applications try to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. They may identify the activity of each other as suspicious and produce alerts. Further, your anti-virus may detect suspicious activity while anti-malware programs are scanning (reading) files, especially if it uses a heuristic scanning engine, regardless if they are running in real-time or on demand. The anti-virus may even detect as threats, any malware removed by these programs and placed into quarantined areas. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts or false alarms that continually warn a threat has been found if the contents of the quarantine folder are not removed before beginning a new security scan. Generally these conflicts are more of an annoyance rather than the significant conflicts which occur when running two anti-virus programs in real time.

Keep in mind that you can overkill a system with resource heavy security programs that will slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combination for your particular system as there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Can you check post #4? I have question there.
Can problems come because AVAST! has real time protections also?
That Emsisoft does not have real time protections in free version.

#8 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I installed Spybot&SD and disabled those real time protections. Maybe that program is good choice.

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 18 December 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

#10 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

I have this thing to ask here:

Problem description:
My computer was running shaky again. Programs slowing down and Internet breaking. After I ran CHKDSK /F in windows safe mode all problems dissappeared. This happens me many times. After I run CHKDSK /F my computer starts working again.
CHKDSK always finds FREE SPACE marked RESERVED in checkup.

Question:
What is going on here?

Edited by 34BLEEP00XX, 28 December 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Chkdsk is a disk error checking utility that verifies the logical integrity of a file system. As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors which slow down hard disk performance and make data writing difficult. Chkdsk scans the hard drive and will check the files and folders for file system errors, lost clusters, lost chains, and bad sectors. When encountering logical inconsistencies in file system data, it will perform the necessary actions to repair the file system data.

Running Chkdsk is one of the first (and easiest) troubleshooting tools which can be used to check the health of your computer and resolve various issues. Many users regularly run utilities like Chkdsk and Defrag as a part of their overall computer maintenance schedule.

#12 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

quietman7:

Thanks for answers. I don't have any bad sectors in my drive so problem is something else here. Someone said that re-installing display drivers might solve problems so I try that.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:29 AM

Alternatively, you can download and use the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner (listed under Popular Links if you are not redirected to the download page).

Definitions can be manually downloaded from here (listed under Definition Database if you are not redirected to the download page). Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions after you transfer SAS Portable to the infected machine.

Another option is to perform a SUPERAntiSpyware Online Safe Scan instead.

We have introduced the following online scanner that may be used if you cannot install and/or run the current SUPERAntiSpyware product due to an infection.

SUPERAntiSpyware Online Scanner. <- use this link if the above is not redirected properly

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Can Several malware scanners work together because I had net problems today and I uninstalled Super Anti Spyware Free and my net works fine.

My other scanners are:
AVAST! Antivirus
Secunia PSI
Emsisoft Malware Scanner. This program has resident drivers. Can they conflict with Super Anti Spyware Free?

Secunia PSI is NOT a malware scanner. It shouldn't conflict with your malware/virus scanners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users