Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless Reboot Cycle after Power Outage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mudvaynedude122

mudvaynedude122

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

First off, computer specs:
Hp a1720n Desktop pc running windows xp professional 32 bit (sp3)
Motherboard asus p5lp-le (oem for hp)
Processor Pendium D 2.8ghz Dual core socket 775
Ram: 1 gig pc2-4200 ddr2 sdram
HD: Samsung sp2504 250gb 7200rpm hd
Video Card: ati something or other, cant remmber
PSU: Thermaltake silent purepower 480w
Soundblaster Live! soundcard

So last night the power in my house shut off, and flickered on and off about 10 times and then stayed off. After it came back on, I tried to turn on my computer. The computer gets to the windows xp loading screen, loads for .5 seconds and restarts, it will do this endlessly unless I shut off the power. I put in the windows xp disc and tried to get to the automatic repair service and it says no hard drive is found.

I took the hard drive out and hooked it up as a slave to another computer, while this computer was recognizing the hard drive, it ran a repair utility and found several errors and repaired them, I thought this may be all that it needed, swapped it back to the endless restart computer and same thing: endless restarts.

I then put the hard drive as a slave on the working computer again and tried to get my files out of it just in case it was on its way out, during this time, I tried using an ide hard drive with the endless restart computer, I loaded a fresh copy of windows on it and had no issues installing all the way to the desktop, I did this to make sure everything else in the system worked and it appeared to.

I then got out an old western digital 74gb raptor sata hard drive that I had laying around, I hooked it up to the endless restart computer and went through the floppy sata driver stuff and installed a fresh copy of windows. It seemed to go all the way through until it rebooted, did the windows loading screen and I got a blue screen saying STOP: 000000007B Hard drive, hard drive driver issue, or virus detected. I was unable to find a way to get past this blue screen and I am tired of trying to find the answers on my own when I do not know a whole lot about troubleshooting xp and I have no idea what many people are talking about as possible solutions. Currently I have the original samsung hard drive hooked back up to the endless restart computer and its doing the same ol' endless restarting. Why is it that the computer was able to start up with an ide hard drive, but not a fresh xp installed wd raptor or the old samsumg???? Is it possible the power outage fried the sata driver? Does the cmos battery have anything to do with this?? Anyone PLEASE help me. I know the hardware in this computer is ancient at this point but I currently do not have the money to upgrade and the computer got around just fine for me until now. THANK YOU ANY AND EVERYONE THAT REPLIES WITH HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

FWIW: There is no need to install SATA drivers, since the motherboard has native SATA support.

Louis

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

@ Louis: Sorry, but I can't get my head around what you are attempting to convey.
What you have written appears to me to be nonsensical.

I then got out an old western digital 74gb raptor sata hard drive that I had laying around, I hooked it up to the endless restart computer and went through the floppy sata driver stuff and installed a fresh copy of windows. It seemed to go all the way through until it rebooted, did the windows loading screen and I got a blue screen saying STOP: 000000007B Hard drive, hard drive driver issue, or virus detected. I was unable to find a way to get past this blue screen ...

In this instance (using a SATA hard drive), you will need to go "through the floppy sata driver stuff" each time your system re-starts/starts, until you install the SATA drivers on the Windows XP system. (An alternative would be to use the "IDE-compatible" setting in BIOS.)
-----------------

Currently I have the original samsung hard drive hooked back up to the endless restart computer and its doing the same ol' endless restarting.

Please do the following to check exactly what the STOP (BSOD) error message conveys in this instance: I want to check to see whether you are getting a 0x7B error, or a different STOP error with the original hard drive.

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 December 2011 - 02:36 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Sorry for not being clearer :).

If the motherboard has native SATA support...the only thing that needs to be changed (if anything) should be the BIOS settings for SATA. The setting would vary from board to board, but it's basically known as "IDE emulation" or "IDE simulation" wherein the SATA drive is treated as if it's an IDE drive for Windows installation.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=21&gs_id=25&xhr=t&q=What+is+IDE+emulation&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=What+is+IDE+emulation&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1g-j3&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d655ac5b2263df90&biw=1360&bih=600

There is no need to install SATA drivers via floppy...on these motherboards...during the Windows install.

On older boards where there is no IDE emulation...the SATA drivers must be installed via floppy...in order for Windows to detect the drive.

Louis

http://www.ctechinfo.net/manuals/leonite_manual.pdf
SATA connectors diagram and verbiage about 80% down.

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#5 mudvaynedude122

mudvaynedude122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

@ Louis: Sorry, but I can't get my head around what you are attempting to convey.
What you have written appears to me to be nonsensical.

I then got out an old western digital 74gb raptor sata hard drive that I had laying around, I hooked it up to the endless restart computer and went through the floppy sata driver stuff and installed a fresh copy of windows. It seemed to go all the way through until it rebooted, did the windows loading screen and I got a blue screen saying STOP: 000000007B Hard drive, hard drive driver issue, or virus detected. I was unable to find a way to get past this blue screen ...

In this instance (using a SATA hard drive), you will need to go "through the floppy sata driver stuff" each time your system re-starts/starts, until you install the SATA drivers on the Windows XP system. (An alternative would be to use the "IDE-compatible" setting in BIOS.)
-----------------

Currently I have the original samsung hard drive hooked back up to the endless restart computer and its doing the same ol' endless restarting.

Please do the following to check exactly what the STOP (BSOD) error message conveys in this instance: I want to check to see whether you are getting a 0x7B error, or a different STOP error with the original hard drive.

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Ok, I did as you said and I did get the bsod with the original hard drive right after the windows loading screen. The error message reads: STOP: 0X0000007B (0xf792b524,0xc0000034,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Above this is says: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your had drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

About the floppy sata driver stuff, I was under the impression that to use a SATA hard drive with a fresh install of windows xp, I had to install the motherboard SATA controller drivers using a floppy disc, I have always had to do this in the past, with different computers, I wasn't aware that this motherboard may be different. When I tried to install xp on the wd raptor hard drive, windows said no hard drive was detected, then I did use the floppy disc method and it was able to find the hard drive. This further led me to believe that I had to use the floppy. However, after windows made a new partition on the Raptor and continued through the setup process, it gave me the same bsod message: stop 00000007b after restart. Sorry for any confusion and I appreciate your help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Just a clarification...when SATA drives were new, existing motherboards required SATA drivers to be installed by floppy...as part of the Windows install process. This was because of the time period when each evolved. As time went on, motherboard manufacturers began to change the way that a BIOS might be implemented, as a way of overcoming what some saw as an inconvenience.

Thus "IDE emulation" began to appear in motherboards/BIOS settings...and there was no need to use floppy installation of drivers...with a board presenting BIOS settings which effected "IDE emulation".

I cannot find any actual BIOS screens for the board you have, so I may have been in error in asserting that you have such a BIOS. But the fact that ASUS produced the board and ASUS has tended to be one of the more forward-looking motherboard manufacturers...I would suspect but could only confirm if I could see the BIOS options reflected for the board.

If you say the other method worked for you...I'll take your word for it.

Louis

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

@ Louis: That was a much better effort. Thank you. (Just keepin' you on your toes!)

@ mudvaynedude122: Please try booting to the Raptor SATA HDD with the new installation of Windows XP on it, and use F6 >>> to "load SATA drivers from floppy" at the appropriate time on startup. Does the system boot successfully to Windows now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 mudvaynedude122

mudvaynedude122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

So, I got the original samsung hard drive working and the computer booted up again, I researched the bsod 0x7b error and read to switch from sata to ide in the bios and that worked for me. However, is my hard drive now running slower than it would if it was in sata mode? Why would it suddenly stop working in sata mode and have to be switched to ide mode??

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Why would it suddenly stop working in sata mode and have to be switched to ide mode??

One possibility is that the CMOS battery is losing its charge and the BIOS settings have reverted to the default settings, which may well have been SATA operation for SATA hard drives. How is the date/time of the system? Has it ever reverted several years to the default ... when it was made? That is the usual symptom of a failing CMOS battery.

You asked: "is my hard drive now running slower than it would if it was in sata mode?"
No, not the hard drive itself: The data transfer rate to and from the hard drive may be slower, but only during a period of maximum usage.
The effect of using one setting or the other is usually not noticed, does not make a difference to most users and does not cause a problem.

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 December 2011 - 08:37 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users