Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost use of cursor and all navigation ability after removing infection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnySokko

JohnnySokko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

EDIT:Moved to Win XP forum~~boop
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not. If it isn't, please suggest the best forum that I should post this in. This issue stems from malware, but the infection is no longer present as I reformatted my computer. This is more of a general computer-related question.

Here's what I need help with. . . .

Last month a rogue security site slipped past my anti-virus protection. Upon what I thought was removal of the infection by MBAM, I rebooted my computer. Upon start up, I discovered that my mouse cursor was no longer working. The arrow keys on my keyboard were also not working. I was not able to do anything on my screen because of that. I couldn't even attempt to do a system restore (or anything) because I had no ability to navigate in order to select choices or to click on anything. I was completely handicapped, so I felt I had no other choice but to reformat.

Last night, the same exact thing happened again. I picked up the same infection again from a threat called XP Antispyware 2012. This is the same infection that I had last month, and the same thing happened again after I cleaned it up and tried restarting my computer. No more use of my mouse or my cursor, nor of my arrow keys. Completely handicapped again! So I was forced to reformat again!

What I want to know is if this should ever happen again, is there some way to get the use of my mouse, cursor, or arrow keys back so that I can use my computer and attempt to finish fixing it?

Edited by boopme, 16 December 2011 - 02:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

What I want to know is if this should ever happen again, is there some way to get the use of my mouse, cursor, or arrow keys back — so that I can use my computer and attempt to finish fixing it?

A trick that I have learned is to kill IE or whatever browser is open when one first notices that rogue pop-up (via Task Manager-keep killing the open browser process entries unil all quits). Take it a step further by cleaning temp file(s) with something such as CCleaner.
Off you go.
NEVER: Click on anything related to the pop - up window; including the red (X). NEVER: Click on any warning messages.
I run without AV/AM. Until I learned to avoid sites that serve up that hash, I encountered it many times.
Good luck.

:thumbup2:

Edit: Creating system images will give one a hassle free recovery option.

Edited by bludgard, 16 December 2011 - 07:34 PM.

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Are you sure your system is malware free ?

Edited by jburd1800, 16 December 2011 - 10:21 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

I doubt that it is as well.

Does it work in safe mode?
When your system starts booting up continually tap the F8 key to get you to the advanced menu.
When there, navigate to safe mode with your up and down arrow keys and hit enter.
If you can do that most likely your keyboard works

When safe mode click ok when it tells you that you are running in save mode.
Does the mouse work then?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Thomas E

Thomas E

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

There is a point at which a system becomes so infected that you can't restore it from within the operating system. With some virus infections it is so bad that you can't even boot the computer up into safe mode.

At that point, probably the best choice (beyond simply formatting) is to use a bootable antivirus disk.

Forums like this often don't use this step, because it is very advanced, and can end up with you breaking the computer, but if you can't even get to step 1, it is worth considering. (People who own Norton already have a bootable antivirus disk: the disk Norton comes with is bootable)

And you should note, even after running such a disk, your system is not likely to be free of malware: you will need to carry on cleaning from within the operating system.

Now, beyond that, I really suggest prevention is better than cure. Running your browser within a sandbox is much safer than relying on an antivirus alone. Sandboxie has a free version. Also, making sure your windows is updated using Secunia is important.

Edited by Thomas E, 17 December 2011 - 11:00 AM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

I agree with the general post; especially the prevention part. I would like to add that creating system images is an excellent recovery method that takes little user input, less stress, less time and once the backup system is in place, a feeling of invincibility foments.
However, bootable media is offered on a need to know basis. If it is not called for, well then.... As far as "breaking a computer" by booting to supported media: Anything that lives - dies. What heals can kill.
Norton (IMO) is tantamount to disaster.

One,

Jobe

Edited by bludgard, 17 December 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Are your mouse and keyboard USB or ps2 connections?

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Are your mouse and keyboard USB or ps2 connections?

That is a good question QE! It is one that I was about to ask.

I suspect that the OP is using PS/2 connected keyboard and mouse. I suspect that MBAM is removing the PS/2 keyboard/mouse driver. If the OP were to use a USB connected keyboard and mouse, they would regain the use of the keyboard and mouse and then be able to go about fixing the malware issue.

See: topic by Scooter75 i8042prt removed by Malwarebytes

Edited by AustrAlien, 18 December 2011 - 05:22 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users