Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perplexing Keyboard And Mouse Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Visigoth

Visigoth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:37 AM

First off here are is my system info and a copy of my HijackThis log:

System - Gateway E-4600
OS - Windows ME
Processor - 1.8Ghz Intel Pentium 4
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce3
Sound Card - SB Live
Memory - 768MB (256MB factory installed, 512MB installed 4 years ago)
Hard Drive - 80GB / 63GB free space
Keyboard - Standard 101/102-Key Microsoft Natural Keyboard
Mouse - Logitech WheelMouse1 (PS/2)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:47:08 PM, on 2/4/2006
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.50 (5.50.4134.0600)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\GWMDMMSG.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\AUDIOHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK X1100 SERIES\LXBKBMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LEXMARK X1100 SERIES\LXBKBMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\SECURITY TOOLS\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GWMDMMSG] GWMDMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GWMDMpi] C:\WINDOWS\GWMDMpi.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Speed racer] C:\Program Files\Creative\PlayCenter\CTSRReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X1100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexStart] lexstart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASRInst] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Panasonic\SD-JukeboxV4\Filters\ASRFilter.ax" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll

The Problem:

A few months ago I started getting an annoying problem of my mouse and keyboard randomly and with out warning ceasing to respond. At first when it happened I thought it was my computer locking up until it happened again and I noticed that everything was still running and that just my mouse and keyboard were not responding. I ran Spybot and HijackThis thinking maybe I had gotten hold of something nasty but I found nothing wrong. Which wasn't too suprising since I had just had to reinstall Windows. One of the reasons I thought my computer was completely locking up was because I was playing Rise of Nations without the latest vid card driver update which I had lost due to having to reinstalling of Windows.

So I decided to erase my hard drive and resinstall Windows again thinking maybe something had gotten messed up when I had to reinstall Windows. The problem still remiained. I've been wracking my brains over what it could be and thinking through various aspects that could be affecting my mouse and keyboard but have failed to come up with a solid reason.

I've installed updateds for my BIOs, Intel chipset, and drivers for my mouse and keyboard and still the problem has remained. I even got the Dec '05 driver update for my vid card and the problem remained, but then had to uninstall it due to incompatability issues anyways. As far as I know it all settings (Windows and IE) I have are back to the way they were before the 2 reinstallations of Windows.

This is what I've noticed of the problem. During running of applications; games, word processor, browser, and other programs I get slight lag incidents that causes everything to lock up for a few brief seconds and then resume, much like a program is starting up in the background. Sometimes it causes the mouse and keyboard to lock up while everything else keeps running forcing me to shut down and reboot my computer. The other day I noticed that my dial-up connection will start to send bytes when sitting idle at the desktop without the browser open or any application running.

I orginally thought it was a graphics card issue but started to rule it out when I was running applications that did not require very much in a graphics card. I thought maybe having my screen saver activated was creating the problem but I turned it off and still had the problem. I started to think maybe it was just my mouse and keyboard but the problem was acting like a memory problem. So I started thinking perhaps it had to do with the amount of RAM I have installed not getting along well with Windows ME but couldn't figure out why it would take 4 years to rear it's ugly head. Then with the transferring of bytes while my internet connection is supposed to be idle I started to lean back towards the RAM problem and of a program running when it shouldn't be. I ran HijackThis but couldn't find anything that shouldn't be there. The only thing that was new before the problem started was I got a new printer (Lexmark X1185) but if I remember correctly the problem was still there before I got around to reinstalling the drivers for it after the last reinstallation of Windows.

The ultimate answer to my problem is to just get a new computer since it's past that time I should but I'm not able to right now and need this computer. Apart from that I'm at a complete loss to what the real problem is and how to remedy it.

Editted out unimportant HijackThis log portions

Edited by Visigoth, 05 February 2006 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

Just to eliminate the obvious, but does this happen if you substitute another keyboard and mouse?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Visigoth

Visigoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

I don't have an extra keyboard or mouse. I got rid of my old computer last year and I knew it would come back to haunt me not having it to scavenge off of.

I have thought about that aspect though but couldn't figure out why it would also cause programs to lag and freeze as if another program was trying to start up. I'll see if I can scavenge ones from somewhere.

I did forget a couple of things in my orginal post. There are times that I get "phantom keystrokes" without pressing a key. For example my startup menu will pop up or if in a program a hotkey will be activated without any keys being pressed. When I was telling my brother about this he mentioned something about keystrokes getting dumped into a cache before they are carried out. I didn't quite understand what he was saying to be able to apply it to this problem and I don't think he completely understood it since he thought it had something to do with DOS but wasn't sure if it was a Windows process.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:27 AM

You may want to rule out malware by submitting a HJT log to the appropriate forum where our team of volunteer experts can review it for problems. I can also presume you have run a thorough disk scan with your updated anti-virus and at least two good anti-spyware applications.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

The only other possibility aside from malware, is just bad keyboard/mouse Try something new.

#6 Visigoth

Visigoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:31 AM

Well I ran BitDefender and it did find some problems. I'll admit scanning for viruses had completely skipped my mind, I got hung up on malware and spyware. Anyways I got some noticeable improvement in the behavior of my mouse cursor. Now while browsing it only freezes momentarily when opening a new browser window. Unfortunately I still get the momentary freezing of games although less frequently, but have yet to have the mouse and keyboard completely stop responding.

I'm gonna try some other virus scanners and try some different spyware scanners. If no other ideas come up my next step is going to be trying to get my hands on another mouse and keyboard and trying those out.

Just so you don't start wondering why I haven't posted my HJT log to the HJT forum, I've gone over it myself comparing each item to a database and everything checks out all right. I also had someone else look it over and he said it was clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users