Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see web site links

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 raiden1701

raiden1701

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

I have XP Pro SP3 32-bit. I can't see most of the links on all the websites I go to. I'm using IE8 & Firefox 8.0 (affects both). They are up to date and I have the latest Adobe Flash and Java. All I can see is basic text and some outlines of where visuals and links should be. If I hover over where a link should be, I can't see it but I can click on it and it takes me to where it should normally take me. I don't really know how to describe this so I'll try.

Examples:

-Facebook is missing all the background colors and is missing the logo and the picture of the continents.
-Google is missing the logo above the search bar and all the links at the top are usable but are just blue text in a white box with a blue outline.
-Youtube is just looks like all basic text with some minor graphics. I can watch videos though.

So overall it seems to me like I'm missing some sort of web based thing on my PC that affects all browsers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:13 AM

Something to add: It does the same thing when I install programs. I can't see some of the options for some installations or an option box is all dark where there is supposed to be some text (can't read what the check boxes are supposed to be for).

#3 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Another thing that is weird. When I goto XP Performance Options --> Visual Effects and unselect ALL of the boxes and hit Apply, nothing changes at all.

#4 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

This all started when I got a new monitor awhile ago and I messed around with the XP fonts and appearances. I guess it's something to do with that but when I try changing everything to the default, the problem is still there.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

Can you post some screenshots atleast? Both web graphics and desktop icons, background affected?

Tekken

#6 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/raiden1701/

The picture of the desktop is with ALL visual effects OFF.

Nothing happened from the SFC scan I ran and all browsers, XP, seemingly everything is up to date. I tried other themes and I scanned heavily with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot, Avira and CCleaner and not a single virus. I also used TDSSkiller and found nothing. And it does the same thing in Safe Mode. Also I wouldn't be able to do a system restore because it only goes back 3 months and this started about 5 months ago. I know formatting and reinstall would fix it but that is a very last resort right now.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Visual Effects and unselect ALL of the boxes and hit Apply

Under this option - Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts(checkmark this option), there are two types : Standard and Clear type. Use standard. For shortcut icon blue background under Appearance tab-Advanced-Color2, change background to black. I do not see any image or screenshot of links that you meant are not available when going to all sites. Maybe posting some links here for testing.

Tekken

#8 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:47 AM

OK, I did that but still no change. What do you mean about the pictures? Did the link I gave work? Or is that even what you mean?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

What is your connection speed? Try speedtest and post the result. The last time I've seen those type of web page display was on dial-up.

Tekken

#10 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

I am with Shaw in BC, Canada. The test showed my download to be at around 19mbps (20mbps is what I ordered) and my upload at 2mbps which is also normal.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Some users reported back by going back to an older version of browser first then switching back.

Tekken

#12 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

OK I tried that but still nothing.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

Check both Java and Adobe Flash for IE and Firefox are enabled. Do you have allocated memory options for shared video ram under BIOS? Any changes before this happen?

Tekken

#14 raiden1701

raiden1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

Java and Flash are enabled. I don't have any RAM allocated. I'm not sure what you mean by changes.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Check the set options under Memory usage and Visual Effects. Follow the steps on How to manually optimize memory usage (Choose Programs) and Manually change the visual effects (choose Let Windows choose what's best for my computer)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users