Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dynamic Disk listed as "missing" in Disk Management

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nhurm

nhurm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

I just switched cases. The drive was working flawlessly before the case switch. The drive in question is a 2 TB Segate drive, and is about half-full through the 3 partitions. I plugged everything in, and I get the image below in device manager. Any ideas of what I can do to reactivate it and get access to the data?

Posted Image

What I've done:
  • I've tried to reactivate both the disk and each volume through the GUI, and through diskpart command line with no success
  • I've tried booting into Ubuntu on a USB to see if it was just a driver issue on Windows. I couldn't see the volumes or any of the data on it
  • I've tried swapping sata cables and ports to no success, thus it rules out a hardware connection issue
  • I've tried tossing the drive into a sata to USB to no success

There's a lot of music and I copied my DVD collection into a digital form, but (thankfully) any mission-critical files I have backed up other places. If I can fix the volume issue without nuking the volumes, that would be very much perferred, but I'm not dead-set against deleting the volumes (hoping I can use a data recovery tool to recover some if not most of the data).

Does anyone have any suggestions or tools I can try?

Edited by nhurm, 16 December 2011 - 01:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nhurm

nhurm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Just bumping this thread with more information.

Ran and passed all basic tests from SeaTools.

FYI, it's probably not exclusively a Windows issue, so could someone move this to hardware?

Edited by Budapest, 16 December 2011 - 11:57 PM.
Moved from Win7 ~Budapest

#3 nhurm

nhurm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:39 AM

Sorry again for another bump, but I just started hearing the click of death on the drive. Yep, I must have done something. I'm cringing at the fact that I gotta go out and buy a large quantity HDD during the flood price hike. Drive still reads in bios and Disk Management no problem, but the writing's on the wall. Hopefully I can clone the drive and maybe see if that also resolves my volumes issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users