Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Alert!grb MS Windows XP Home - all files gone!!!??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peteraz

peteraz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi - any help appreciated - but I might be up the creek without a paddle?

McAfee detected "~VJG10lSllqWlb8r" as "Fake Alert!grb" virus type this morning but McAfee indicated it was "deleted" - and a cascade of hard drive pop-ups appeared on the screen - had to go to work so I powered down and figured I'd do a "System Restore to a Previous Date" when I got home...as this has worked A-OK a couple of times over the past year when/if I got something similar - got home - went into Safe Mode and restored to a System Checkpoint about a week ago - rebooted and everything looked OK...for about 10 seconds...then the cascading hard drive errors started popping up again - i then tried starting in safe mode to run a scan - this is where it gets ugly - when it came up in SAFE MODE all my desk top icons are GONE, and the only thing on STARTUP MENU is basically the virus? "Scan Fix" or something - EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING else is G-O-N-E.

So, just how screwed am I - and I had 2-3 months of pics of my 4 and 6 year old on the desk top not backed up (really the only things I care about getting back)...agghhh

Complete newbie....

Peter

Little update....I started up in SAFE MODE and logged on as the administrator and am at least able to connect to IE...now what?....and in the Start Menu it says "No Programs"...I can connect to "My Computer" but the 4 folders in there are empty.

Edited by peteraz, 15 December 2011 - 10:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

Your files are hidden,you will get back after following the process given here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-fix

Good luck

#3 peteraz

peteraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

narenxp - Thanks - I'll dive into it tonight and see what happens!

#4 peteraz

peteraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

HItting a brick wall at running any of the versions of rkill...saved them to desktop, then run, but I keep getting the "You have started in Safe Mode...click NO to go back to anoth date...click YES to continue...etc"...then click YES and it basically stops any of the versions of rkill...and tried keeping the one open while running it again and nadda? See below........

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 12/17/2011 at 17:00:53.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 12/17/2011 at 17:00:56.

#5 peteraz

peteraz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

DEC. 20th update....through a combination of logging on as Admin and or guest multiple times in SAFE MODE and running Rkill, Malwarebytes, McAfee and unhide.exe I SLOWLY got almost everything back (including all the pictures!)....actually, the computer (it's an 8-year old Dell) is as fast as it's been in a long time. Damn, this virus was nasty! So the instructions in narenxp's link WORK...you just need to stick with it and tinker around a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users