Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error with Windows Firewall, Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 J Moldy

J Moldy

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hello all.
I recently (within the last two months) fixed my computer from the Win 7 Antivirus 2012 and some related viruses. However, they seem to have left some lasting damage. I cannot get Windows Firewall to turn on, when I go to the action center it tells me Error 0x80070422 can't change some of your settings when attempting to turn it on, while Windows Defender tells me that it is not an installed service. Checking with start > Services I noticed that not only was Windows Defender missing, but so was Windows Firewall. I went to this topic here but I ended up getting this same error as one of the others in the topic. error It did not fix either the Windows Firewall nor Windows Defender.

I had also gotten a strange pop up coupon ad that looked like this, note that that isn't my screenshot. A system restore has stopped bringing it up, although I'm not sure I trust that.

I nominally run MBAM and MSE, and picked up Spybot S&D after a friend told me that the Win 7 Antivirus had probably left a tracker that was bringing it back.

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2011 - 11:45 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:09 PM

It sounds to me like you've still got some sort of malware on your PC. You might consider re-posting in the Security forum. Read the topic 'RKILL'. That can help with a lot of issues.

One of the advisers in that forum will help you with your problem.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

A guideline was made courtesy of Bleepingcomputer http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012
However, it is better to post on the Am I infected section for the Malware experts will help you.

Tekken

#4 J Moldy

J Moldy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

I have scanned with MBAM, Spybot, AVG, MSE, Panda, none of them have come up with anything.

I don't think I still HAVE any of these viruses. I don't have any recurring problems or anything like that. I simply feel that they have left lasting damage and I am worried by the fact that Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are both apparently uninstalled. Looking further, I notice that it also seems to have damaged the Windows Security Center even more, since it says that MSE is turned off and out of date even though it isnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users