Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Antivirus 2012 - Prosecution?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fizzlepop

fizzlepop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I don't know if this is appropriate to this forum or not but here goes. During my experience with ZeroAccess I got the Win 7 Antivirus 2012 infection. As I understand it this program will prompt you to pay money to get it to go away, which it probably won't.

My question is this: Shouldn't someone in law enforcement be able to put in a credit card and follow the money trail? I mean, the credit card company will pay out which means that money has to land in an account somewhere, right? After it's in an account, monitor it until funds are withdrawn/transferred and, BAM, one less hacker/pest on the internet. What am I missing here?

Edited by Budapest, 15 December 2011 - 04:47 PM.
Moved from AII ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

A lot of the kind of phishing you are talking about originates from countries like Russia. This kind of thing is the way of the Russian mob. And you can be sure that these experienced criminals are smart enough to make sure any paper trail leads nowhere. That's why the Cayman Islands exist. Not to mention that most of them are in an unenforcable jurisdiction. So it would be nice if finding scammers was that simple...but it ain't.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,062 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

ARBOR Networks Attack Sources Map
Identifying the country of origin for a malware PE executable
Spam Sources by Country (2011)
Malware and Spam by Country (2009)

Kaspersky: US is the biggest source of malware (2011)
A Global View of Malware Threats: Which Countries Spread Them (2011)
Symantec finds China top source of malware (2010)
Korea reigns as king of malware threats (2010)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users