Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN Help, Can't see vpn folder. Doesn't pop up after connecting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

My Dilemma:
I have finally figured out how to connect to our VPN on our sever, and I can see under network connections that I am connected with the proper username and password. However, I cannot see my folder, or anything for that matter in reference to my VPN connection. I tried dragging-and dropping the connection (down by the clock) to no avail.

I even tried typing in the server address like this: 173.XXX.XXX.XX and chrome opens telling me it can't find the web page?..

What I need:
A folder on my desktop to my VPN connection.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

I am guessing you are trying to access a shared file on the server? How are you establishing the VPN? are you using VPN vis windows server or are you using a VPN router? Remember when you are linked via a VPN it is like being actually there on that network. In order to ping the server you would need to use the internal LAN IP address of the server once you are connected via the VPN. If you are trying access a folder that is shared it will need to be mapped either by \\servername\sharename or \\serverIP\sharename as if you were on a workstation on the LAN.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

Text from OP moved from a personal conversation...(edited out personal info)

"I have a successful VPN connection. I can access the printer and the access to the prompt to access the server but no matter what I do I can't find it. I keep trying to add a network location in my computer. It asks for my username and password but when I click connect the screen flashes asking for the username and password again. I can ping my server and printer. Our server is called XXXXXXXXX I tried \\XXXXXXXXXX\share or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.250\share but it doesn't work. This is a Windows Server 2003 BTW. I went into Computer Management and made a few test accounts but cannot connect. I can connect FTP through our FileZilla server but we use that only for the printer and a few really old accounts. Now we share by right clicking a folder and adding advanced sharing permissions."
Mark Twain

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

How are you creating the VPN? Are you using a VPN router or are you connecting via the 2003 server???
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users