Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Url Link In Start Menu?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 beakerr

beakerr

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:45 PM

I am looking for careful instructions on how to pin a link to a web site (GOOGLE) in my start menu. I found a brief description in the "windows xp tips and tweaks download" but it wasn't really detailed enough for me to attempt. I would really love it if there was a tool that i could download to make this easier as i am inexperienced at editing my registry. If at all possible i would like it to have an official looking google icon also! I'm not asking for much just everything i can think of!
beakerr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:02 PM

Make the browser page take only a portion of the screen so you can drag the url to your desktop. That will create an icon on your desktop for the page.

Drag that icon to the word "start" and keep holding the mouse button down while the menu opens, and drag the icon to wherever you want it to reside.

Clicking on that icon in the menu will then open the browser and direct it to the page that was on it when you created the icon.

Is that what you meant?

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

Here is another method:

If you have added the page to your "Favorites" menu in Internet explorer, it will also be in the "Favorites" tab in Windows Explorer.

Just open up My Computer, click "Favorites"-->Right-Click the shortcut to the page-->hover over "Send To"-->click "Desktop (create shortcut).

Now, just as Enthusiast explained, drag the new shortcut to "Start", wait till it opens, and place it accordinglly.

Hope this helps,

nos
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:13 AM

Thanks guys ! next question, do i close the post or does a moderator close them?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:19 AM

It just continues to oblivion unless it keeps getting posted in.

:thumbsup:

#6 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

wow immortality!

How bout this one!? Does anyone know where i can find a Google icon? YOu know the multicolored word Google that appears at the top of their site? I tried to cut that, save to pictures, and use it to replace the htm shortcut icon, but it wasn't havin' any of it! It needs to be a real icon apparently. And I can't find one that says Google. :thumbsup:

beaakerr

Edited by beakerr, 05 February 2006 - 11:40 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

Googles favicon is a blue letter G in a square box with rounded corners. Does this show up in your shortcut? The favicon is kep in your cookies folder as favicon.ico. There will be a bunch of them in there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

Posted Image

from
http://www.googlestore.com/software.asp

I got it by right clicking on the Google image and copying the image location which you could save instead.

Edited by Enthusiast, 08 February 2006 - 02:35 PM.

#9 beakerr

beakerr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

I tried to right click on the google word at the top of their search page and save it as an .ico file but when i attempt to change to this icon it says no icons were found in this file or folder. That is the icon I would like to have. Also i looked for the default icon "favicon.ico but couldn't find it. I entered it in the search all files and didn't come up with anything. jh

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

I know I am a day late and dollor short but I would like to give another option.

Taskbar (right click)>Properties>Start Menu>Classic Start Menu>Customize...>ADD>http://www.google.com/ (or the url of choice).

You can also "copy and paste" from the Fovorites or current page.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

Take this image, right click it and choose Save image as..., and save it:
Posted Image

Open the image in Irfanview.
Then, click File, and select Save As....
Name the file, and select a location for it.
In the Save as type: box, click the dropdown arrow, and select ICO - Windows Icon.
When you are through making your selections, click the Save button.
You've just created a Windows icon, that you can use like any other icon.

I tried it, and it looks pretty good.
Let me know if this is what you are looking for, or not.

Edited by tg1911, 08 February 2006 - 04:18 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

How about this... Attached File  GGG.JPG   1.66KB   2 downloads
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:19 PM

I tried to right click on the google word at the top of their search page and save it as an .ico file but when i attempt to change to this icon it says no icons were found in this file or folder. That is the icon I would like to have. Also i looked for the default icon "favicon.ico but couldn't find it. I entered it in the search all files and didn't come up with anything. jh

The word Google is a gif.
The size is wrong for making an .ico or .bmp that will function as an icon.
I tried. They looked like crap.

Here is Google favicon.ico

I'm not good enough at image editing to touch up the Google gif & make an icon out of it.
Sorry.
There ought to be some graphics people here who could do it.???

EDIT-

See picture of how to snag favicons from Temporary Internet files

You may find FavOrg helpful-

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Book...rs/favorg.shtml

Edited by medab1, 08 February 2006 - 06:52 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#14 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:03 AM

There are several ways to make shortcuts, it's pretty fun to mess around with keyboard shortcuts. I personally try to use the keyboard as much as possible for executing tasks. I am kind of convinced that these shortcuts are overlooked these days. So, for the sake of helping out my fellow humans, here is the default list:

List of the keyboard shortcuts that are available in Windows XP

Also, for those who want to be creative, here is the instructions for assigning your own shortcuts:

How to create a keyboard shortcut for a program in Windows XP

For the topic in question, here are a couple other methods:

1. In Internet Explorer, click "File"-->"Send"-->"Shortcut To Desktop". Now look at the desktop and you will see the newly created shortcut. You still have to click and drag it to the Start menu, but it's qiuck and easy nonetheless. In Firefox, the favicon.ico is placed and displayed as the shortcut, but not in IE, at least not my IE, could be cause I don't ever use it though.

2. This is very similar to the method Enthusiast posted. The difference is, instead of resizing the window to expose part of the desktop, use the keyboard shortcut to minimize all windows, then just dump it. Here's the steps:

Click and drag the icon in the address bar down the page a few inches, then press the Windows Key+M (to minimize all windows) and drop the shortcut on the desktop. Then click and drag it to the Start menu.

Learning this stuff won't get you girls, but your buddies might be impressed, mine are.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:28 AM

Actually, being a computer expert/geek might get you SMART girls!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users