Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CainyG

CainyG

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

I have a Dell Studio 540 PC with Windows 7 (came with Vista) that is 2 years 9 months old. I have always, for the most part, left the computer on at all times since I bought it. Last night however, because of a pending storm, I made the decision to shut it off for the night. Naturally, this morning it will not turn on. The power unit green light is on but pushing the on switch does nothing. None of the fans are running but I can't remember if they stop completely when the pc is off or if the power unit's fan should run at least. So far I have taken the following steps:tried another power strip/tried another power cord to the pwr unit/opened up the tower and checked that all connections were firmly in place/tried another on switch at the front of the pc but it didn't work. That is all I know to do.
I can not check the power unit itself because I don't have a meter, plus I can troubleshoot software issues ok but I am lost with hardware. My question is,do any of you have an idea of what could be wrong? My thinking is on switch is bad, power unit is bad or motherboard is bad. Obviously my luck is bad.
Is my pc shot or can I do something to fix it? Any thoughts, ideas or advise is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

It is possible that the power supply is bad especially since you mention a storm. The Power supply is always on in a standby mode as long as the AC is applied and thus a surge can damage it. On mine Once they shut off I throw the switch on the power strip to remove AC from everything plugged into it.

That computer should work with a standard ATX power supply. It should give the output watts on the side of the power supply. Just be sure to get one as large or larger.

It is common for a power supply to go bad where the little green light will light but the computer will not power on.

Leaving the computer running 24 hours a day is not really good for them IMHO. Mine are always off unless I'm using it.

I hot rodded my older laptop and it only take 15 seconds or so to boot. I can afford to wait that long. My server OTOH is always on but it was designed for that as well as being on a large UPS whereas a home computer isn't really designed for 24/7 operation.

My younger brother learned the hard way that always leaving his computer on is a bad thing. After a surge ate his Monitor and he had to pay because he wanted a 4:3 Aspect ratio rather than the cheaper widescreen monitors. He now turns everything off and flips off the power strip whenever he hears the thunder rumbling.

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2011 - 06:18 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

I wanted to add that it was the power unit that went out and I replaced it with a $45 middle-of-the-road unit. The new unit runs quieter and was pretty easy to install. Thanks to rotor123 for your assist and to all at BleepingComputer who take the time to help out.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for posting back with the result.

I'm glad to hear all is working now. I'm also glad to hear the cure was relatively inexpensive.

Don't forget use a power strip for all your equipment and after shutting down the computer remove the AC with the power strip switch. That way everything is protected against a surge.

Also if you buy a Surge protector keep in mind that for only a few dollars more a brand name will have models that provide insurance if a surge gets through and damages anything plugged into it. As well as warning lights that can indicate faulty wiring to the outlet and if the surge protector has lost the ability to protect your equipment. And yes they wear out.

The indicator lights and insurance and a brand name are what I look for when I buy.

Have a good one
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users