Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffer overrun detected!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Magma1

Magma1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

I was advised in this topic ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic432564.html ) to come to this forum and post the problem.
To save clicking backwards and forwards I will repeat the issue here:
Suddenly, I am getting this message all the time. No matter what program I am using it comes up and when I click ok the program closes - it happens with Firefox, Notepad and even Windows Explorer:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer overrun detected!

Program: C:\Program Files\Firefox 3\firefox.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

I've searched for answers via Google but there doesn't seem to be anything recent on it. And no answers come up on a forum search here. Have I suddenly got a faulty OS, or a bug of some kind?

One or two old discussions, from 2008/09 seem to indicate a virus but none of the solutions appear to be relevant.

Help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Generally speaking, a buffer overflow is an anomaly and I have seen them occur when using very old programs whose files conflict with the operating system.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library files can cause issues if you are using an old version. Sometimes downloading a more current version (here) and installing it will resolve errors related to C++ runtime files. Create a New Restore Point first in case you encounter a problem and have to revert.

I see you are using Firefox 3 which is outdated. You could also try uninstalling it and rebooting. Then download and install the most current version. Since this issue is occurring when using other programs that may not help but you should update old programs anyway unless there is a valid reason not to.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users