Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Woha Help Please

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 wonderful4

wonderful4

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

Ok I was just eating dinner and when I got back a popup from msn messanger said I had a virus and to download this patch thing at patchupdate.info :S Im afraid maybe its a fake and if I go there THEN I will get the virus...but just in case SOMEBODY HELP...I have Windows XP home edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

Is it MSN Messenger or just Messenger?

Miscreants who create adware/malware have become adept at sending you spam using Messenger unless you have it disabled (which is suggested).

The only reason not to have Messenger disabled is if you are an a network and the system administrator uses Messenger to broadcast messages to computers on the network.

From Kim Komando:
XP Home has a simple setting that allows you to turn off Windows Messenger. In the open Windows Messenger window, click Tools>>Options. Select the Preferences tab. Clear the box next to "Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts."

Microsoft's solution is more involved for Windows XP Professional. Click Start>>Run. In the box, enter gpedit.msc. Click OK. Click Local Computer Policy>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>Windows Components. Click Disabled>>Apply>>OK.

In the past, I have disabled Windows Messenger by changing the folder name. The Messenger folder is located in C:\Program Files. Right-click it and click Rename. Change the name to Messengerx. When you need Messenger, if ever, simply remove the x.

Outlook Express and Outlook 2002 automatically start Windows Messenger.
You may get error messages with Messenger shut down. To avoid that, change the settings in those programs.

In Outlook Express, click Tools>>Options. On the General tab, clear "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger." In Outlook 2002, click Tools>>Options. Select the Other tab. Clear Enable Instant Messaging in Windows Outlook.
Kim Komando
http://www.komando.com/tips_show.asp?showID=8897

If you have Adaware installed on your computer (which you definitely should), there is an Adaware add-on that will disable Messenger. It is called "Messenger Control" and you can download it here:
http://www.lavasoft.com/

In order to protect yourself against becoming infected by viruses make sure your resident anti-virus program has the most current updates. Also make sure that your operating system, Windows XP Home is updated to SP2.

Neglecting to have either your virus definitions for your anti-virus program or Microsoft Critical Updates current will make your computer much more susceptable to becoming infected by viruses and other malware.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 February 2006 - 10:19 PM.

#3 wonderful4

wonderful4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

The message was not in a messanger window it just said it was from msn messanger...not windows messanger, msn messanger

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:39 AM

If it was in MSN Messenger someone is just spamming you.

I would ignore it. Do not open any link it gives you and certainly do not open any attachment if any.

I am not familiar with MSN Messenger, but if you can block the sender, I would do so.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 February 2006 - 12:40 AM.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:47 PM

Topic closed as being handled in HJT
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users