Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows keeps restarting (plug and play error)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueade7

blueade7

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

My computer keeps restarting. Immediately after logging into windows I get the message "windows must now restart because the plug and play service terminated".

This morning I switched on my computer from a hibernated state. It was extremely sluggish, then I had the usual message saying windows had completed downloading updates and that my computer would now restart. Upon restarting it got to the screen where it says "Windows is configuring, do not turn off computer". But it got stuck on this screen for half an hour so I switched it off. Upon restarting it seemed to work fine, went through the windows updates, got to 3 of 3, and I continued to log on. Then I got the "windows must now restart because the plug and play service terminated" message.

I had an external hard drive plugged in during this time. But took it out thinking it might be part of the problem. Now, when I try to plug it back in windows freezes in what ever its doing, leading to believe that it may be a problem with the communication between windows and the external hard drive. I have plugged the external hard drive into a different laptop (this one) and it works fine.

Please note that I do not have time to do anything (no time to switch on antivirus software etc) before the message comes up and my computer restarts. Im not sure whether this is a virus or a genuine problem with the computer.

Any help is very much appreciated,

Thanks, Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum. The problem you are having is generally the result of malware.

#3 blueade7

blueade7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. I have posted it where you suggested and am waiting for a reply.

Im not sure it is a virus though - I may have made the cardinal sin of interrupting the windows update.

I just tried doing a system restore, which failed. Then I tried running in safe mode and immediately got the error: "power service terminated unexpectedly" and the computer was forced to restart.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

It may very well not be a virus - I simply know that this particular error can be malware related. Of course the fact that you interrupted an update is a possible cause - especially given the timing. Have you tried booting to the W7 dvd and running startup repair?

#5 blueade7

blueade7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

I tried startup repair and it came up with no errors. I think a windows reinstall may be the only way forward.

Edited by blueade7, 15 December 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:55 PM

That may indeed be the case.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Please respond to your topic in the Am I Infected forum, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic432571.html/page__p__2510445#entry2510445 .

To prevent confusion, I am closing this topic. If you want it reopened after your malware topic is terminated, just send me a PM.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users