Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Location is not available

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nos4r2

nos4r2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Hi

New member ...first post. Hope someone can help me .

Ive recently copied/pasted my desktop items to an external drive (as a psuedo backup), and it appears the registry has now mapped itself at start-up (the desktop icons) to that external drive - hence if i dont have it connected, it says "location is not available" ...and i only see the control panel icon on a black desktop.

An error message pops up - its looking for a folder on the "J:/..." drive
So, as a remedy i tried - taking a look at the registry using regedit for entries with that location, and I found a few - especially in the ...\explorer\shell folders . I haven't changed them as i'm not sure what i should put there now - the files are on the J drive so ide obviously have to copy them to the 'correct' location and then point to this 'correct' folder...

Now - obviously i dont know how i managed to change the registry to point to the this location, rather than the usual folder [...\system 32\desktop] (right??) ] location ; so i don't know how to set it back to the correct location without making things worse by editing the reg .

Any advice ? Ive looked online and most recommend a system restore - WTF why ???
I don't want to do that. Surely its simply matter of changing a property of some file .

System: Vista Home

ps - when i look at the desktop file within my user profile and right click it to access its 'properties' ; in order to change the 'Location' as per some other advice ive seen online - BUT there is no such tab in the properties window .

kind regards in advance.

nos4r2

Edited by nos4r2, 14 December 2011 - 11:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

Hello and welcome
I think that i would use system restore to a time before you did this because you are going to mess up and play around in the Registry for no reason. Restore things back to the way they were and then when that is normal, we can address the issue of putting backup programs on an external drive and do it the correct way without messing with the registry . Make sense to you ? Post back your decision and we will see what we can do to get your computer to perform as you need it to .

Please use restore points often

#3 nos4r2

nos4r2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hi - thanks for the reply

Look, ive installed a fair bit of software since this started happening - and a restore ( going back to a state where it wasn't happening) would just stuff up all those progrmas ... There has to be a simpler way.

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

I see, well, how bout putting all of that from your external drive back to your internal drive ? If i understand this, you put your desktop shortcuts to the J drive which is your external drive ? Or, have you transferred the whole program to the external drive ? What ever you ended up putting on the external, you should be able to just put it back on your c drive or back to the desktop .
Sorry if i am not understanding what exactly you put on the external drive, help me out here on what exactly you did, ie : shortcuts or the whole program ?

Please use restore points often

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users