Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Curious Problem Indeed...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kated

kated

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:13 PM

For several weeks, my monitor would flicker and turn strange colours when the monitor cable was jostled. However, after a few moments all was to be well again.
Recently however, I turned my computer on after a day's reprise only to find it displaying perplexing shades of mainly green. I altered the colour settings on the monitor itself, but all in vain. Printing out a colour chart revealed that what I thought had been black was truly red. This is very odd because when I had brought up the adjustment menu on the monitor screen, it was a bright red.

So I turned to the monitor cable itself. None of the pins are broken or missing, but it is attached to the casing of the monitor and I therefore cannot identify whether that is the real problem.

I would appreciate any and all help, particularly because I have no money and about to begin a semi-important design project which tragically requires the accurate viewing of colour. I do have however, several screwdrivers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hmm when you say jostling the monitor cable do you mean the side that enters the monitor? If so then is sounds like there could be some dry solder connections. Removing the monitor case is not to be attempted light hearted as there are major capacitors there that hold enough charge to easily kill the careless.

Could you try the monitor on another computer to see if it still shows the same problem. If so it dosent sound so good. It may be possible to get it repaired by someone who knows how to do it safely.

g

#3 polconv

polconv

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

The most likely problem, is that there is a break in the "red" cable somewhere. This may or may not be in the monitor, computer or cable. As SF said, it could be to do with the solder, although it also could be the actual came. If the cable has been flexed quite a lot and bent over, it is possible that the wire is broken inside the plastic coating. This has happened to me before with an video projector. Just a thought!

If this is the case, simple solution, buy new RGB cable.

Hope u find a simple cheap solution anyway

Edited by polconv, 05 February 2006 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users