Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asus router

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

is it possible that a new wireless router and an older laptop are incompatible? the new router is an asus rtn56u dual band, the laptop is a 6 year old asus A4L running winxp pro sp3. the router works with other computers, vista, win7, xboxes etc, but not the xp machine. likewise, the older xp laptop works flawlessly with other wireless routers, linksys, belkin, etc, as well as unsecured wifi spots, libraries, cafes & such. very strange indeed. the old laptop detects the signal from the new router, but refuses to connect. has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? thanks r.f.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

Did you check the security mode of the new router and your wireless adapter configuration first? What message does it show when unable to connect?

Tekken

#3 dae3xt

dae3xt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm having this exact problem with no resolution. i had my company IT personnel try to fix this with no solution. this is happening to my xp work laptop. all my personal newer desktop and laptops connects fine with the asus but not my old work laptop..

did you find a solution to this?? if yes, please let me know dae3xt@gmail.com thanks !!!!

is it possible that a new wireless router and an older laptop are incompatible? the new router is an asus rtn56u dual band, the laptop is a 6 year old asus A4L running winxp pro sp3. the router works with other computers, vista, win7, xboxes etc, but not the xp machine. likewise, the older xp laptop works flawlessly with other wireless routers, linksys, belkin, etc, as well as unsecured wifi spots, libraries, cafes & such. very strange indeed. the old laptop detects the signal from the new router, but refuses to connect. has anyone ever experienced or heard of this? thanks r.f.

#4 dae3xt

dae3xt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

okay I got it to work. i had to go into the asus wireless modem and configure the settings so that it matches up exactly on using the network authentication like (wpa-psk) and data encryption like TKIP. i did not leave anything to be "auto".. I matched it up exactly with my old laptop's association properties.. Good luck to anyone else having this problem.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the update and good news. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users