Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible problem with video card and/or psu

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hdm87

hdm87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Hello,

Several weeks ago, the monitor on my HP Pavilion a6045x PC went blank. It just shut off, without warning, as I was working on a document. I could not get it to respond, so I forced a shut down, unplugged the cables to the monitor, and then restarted. Everything worked fine for a few minutes, then went blank. From there, Windows failed to launch, except in safe mode.

Upon start-up, the HP screen, which is usually solid blue with a white HP logo, was pockmarked with little black dots. Under normal start-up, this screen would be followed by a solid black screen; now, this screen had blue lines, which faded near the top of the screen, in the background.

Here is where I am somewhat confused: I managed to uninstall the video drivers (I have an nVidia GeForce 9800, and yes, I've tried cleaning the inside with compressed air), and install updated drivers. This fixed the problem temporarily. After several days, though, the weird blue HP screen popped up, and Windows once again failed to load on start-up. The other thing that makes this so confusing is that, after starting the computer in safe mode after one failed launch, I noticed that a Windows update needed to be installed. I installed it, and upon re-boot, the computer loaded normally and worked fine for several days thereafter, but only for a few days, when it once again failed to launch properly.

Now, from what I've read, and according to someone more knowledgeable than I, it sounds like either the video card or the PSU is at fault here. But the fact that these software updates have resulted in temporary functionality has me puzzled. Anyone know what's up?

Here are some of my specs. I can provide more detail in the morning, if needed.

HP Pavilion a6045x PC
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E4400
nVidia Geforce 9800
2046 MB of RAM
Coolmax PSU, model 700B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hdm87

hdm87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

I would also mention that I've noticed no strange noises upon start-up, nor do any of the fans sound like they are not functioning.

Also, this is largely a store-bought rig, with some custom parts added on (namely the GeForce card and the PSU). The computer was purchased in May of 2007, and these parts were added in December of 2008.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users