Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing startup programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

could someone help me identify programs that i don't need running at start up?

i ran ccleaner, and this is the list that it came up with: http://www.mediafire.com/?a5ooe3o4srceesh

Please let me know if you prefer me to copy and paste all of the details here. it is only a .txt file.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

Have you used the Startup List tab, at the top of this page?
Just type in the programs you have questions about, and suggestions will be provided.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Jardon Tech Training

Jardon Tech Training

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Have you used the Startup List tab, at the top of this page?
Just type in the programs you have questions about, and suggestions will be provided.

I agree. Google the ones you are not sure about. If it is safe to disable then run msconfig and disable them on startup.

#4 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

why do i have bitlocker starting up if i only have windows 7 home premium?

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

If it is safe to disable then run msconfig and disable them on startup.

Following quote courtesy of our very own quietman7:

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:

• When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list.
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?]MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows XP configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list.
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

so leave services alone, but i can edit the startup? also, i use ccleaner... is this fine?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Use a startup manager utility (there are various ones), rather than using msconfig. Exxamples (in addition to those previously suggested):

Starter (for Startups) - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Starter.shtml

Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Inspector for Windows - http://www.windowsstartup.com/

The one I like most is AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx but I don't suggest using it unless you are willing to read the instructions on what is reflected on each tab...and understand that Autoruns lists everything, including Windows system files, drivers, and other items not normally thought of as "startup" items.

As for Ccleaner...I've never found a reason to use it on any system I've ever had.

There are other programs which reflect startups (e.g., Windows Defender) but the main thrust of these programs is not to be used as a startup manager...as opposed to the ones suggested thus far.

Basic approach to choosing a startup manager...try a few, select the one YOU think is easiest for you to use.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2012 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users