Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Internet Security 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 azgreg

azgreg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Hi. I got jacked by XP Internet Security 2012. It won't let me run anything (Malwarebytes, hijackthis, internet, etc.). I tried the removal process on your site, but I ran into a problem. I was able to download FixNCR.reg from my sons laptop. (which I am on right now). I ran FixNCR.reg and was able to run Malwarebytes, but it locked up after 4 hours of scanning. I am still not able to access the internet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/432491 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 azgreg

azgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hi. Here is what happened. I contracted the XP internet Security 2012 virus and wasn't able to do anything on my computer including the internet. I read and followed the steps in the Spyware removal tab on your homepage. Using my son's laptop I downloaded and ran the FixNCR.reg program. This allowed me to run executable files, but still no internet. Next, using my son's laptop again, I downloaded and ran RKill. I noticed no improvement in performance, still no internet. next I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malewarebytes. Both programs cleaned up a number of threats (I have the logs on another flash drive at home) Everything ran great, but still no internet. Next I ran ipconfigure and recieved an error message that rear internal failure, contact Microsoft. next I tried running system restore back to 12/1/11. At this time I had acess to the internet, but system performance was poor (cpu usage through the roof). I reran Malwarebytes and it detected and cleaned a number of threats, but then again no internet access. After Helpbot responded (thank you) I ran DDS (will post logs now). Next I tried to run GMER, but the computer locked up after about 2 hours of scanning (will try again when I get home from work.

Attached Files

#4 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Hi azgreg,

I will be handling your log to help you get cleaned up. I apologize for the delay but the forum is very busy and as you can see the logs we ask for are very extensive and take a lot of time to investigate.

Please subscribe to this topic.

• Click on the Watch Topic button
  • Select Immediate Notification
  • Click on Proceed.

Make sure Word Wrap in notepad is turned off. When copying and pasting logs paste them directly in the reply box only attach logs if asked to. Do not wrap logs in codebox or code tags. It makes it very difficult to read and analyze them. Please paste them directly into the reply box. Do not make any changes to your system until we are through. Fixes are based upon information that is current from your system so any changes can affect our strategy. Please refrain from running any tools we may use without specific instructions.

If your operating system is Windows Vista or Windows 7 it may be necessary to right click then choose Run as Administrator any programs we use.

Because the e-mail notification system is not completely reliable, please check your topic once a day for responses.

Please read carefully all directions and instructions. If you are instructed to save a tool to the desktop please save it to the desktop. If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.

I will look at your logs and get back to you. :thumbup2:

Thanks!!
PW

#5 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hi azgreg,

How do you connect to the internet and what ISP do you use on this computer?

• Click "start" on the taskbar and then click on the "Control Panel" icon.
  • Please doubleclick the "Add or Remove Programs" icon
  • A list of programs installed will be "populated" this may take a bit of time.
  • If they exist, uninstall the following by clicking on the following entries and selecting "remove":

Ask Toolbar
NetAssistant

Step 1.

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Bleepingcomputer
ForoSpyware
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on Combofix.exe and follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, or if you are running Vista, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\Combofix.txt in your next reply.

In your next reply please include the following:

ComboFix.txt

Thanks!!
PW

#6 azgreg

azgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Hi, Thank you very much for the help.
To access the internet I use DSL through Cox Cable and we also use a wireless router (I hate it) for my sons laptops.
Here is the Combo Fix log:

ComboFix 11-12-22.04 - Owner 12/22/2011 17:20:42.6.1 - x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.511.234 [GMT -7:00]
Running from: E:\ComboFix.exe
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\~DFK2164e3.tmp
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\1eaadjc.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\bass.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\kfgresk.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\mjcriu.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\peaadje.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\qwadjb.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\rsaadjd.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Owner3SQLite3.dll
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Toolbar4
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\JMHL Loader
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\JMHL Loader\JMHL Loader.lnk
c:\documents and settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\JMHL Loader\Uninstall.lnk
c:\documents and settings\Owner\WINDOWS
c:\program files\Freeze.com\NetAssistant\NeTAssistant.dll
c:\program files\JMHL Loader
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1278488143
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\bckfg.tmp
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\cfg.ini
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\Desktop.ini
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\keywords
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\kwrd.dll
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\L\hammbtul
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\lsflt7.ver
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\00000001.@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\00000002.@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\00000004.@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\80000000.@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\80000004.@
c:\windows\$NtUninstallKB17004$\1739597276\U\80000032.@
c:\windows\kb913800.exe
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispcnerr.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispdtone.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\isphdshk.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispins.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispnoanw.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\isppberr.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispphbsy.htm
c:\windows\system32\oobe\isperror\ispsbusy.htm
c:\windows\system32\xmlrpw32.dll
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2011-11-23 to 2011-12-23 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2011-12-19 00:16 . 2011-12-19 00:16 -------- d-----w- c:\windows\system32\wbem\Repository
2011-12-18 01:58 . 2011-12-18 01:58 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer
2011-12-15 23:50 . 2011-12-15 23:50 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\DriverCure
2011-12-15 23:50 . 2011-12-15 23:50 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\ParetoLogic
2011-12-15 23:50 . 2011-12-15 23:50 -------- d-----w- c:\program files\Common Files\ParetoLogic
2011-12-15 23:50 . 2011-12-15 23:50 -------- d-----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\ParetoLogic
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2011-11-02 01:33 . 2003-03-19 03:14 499712 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\msvcp71.dll
2011-11-02 01:33 . 2003-02-21 11:42 348160 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\msvcr71.dll
2011-10-10 02:15 . 2011-06-21 02:15 414368 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
2011-11-21 04:04 . 2011-12-20 22:14 134104 ----a-w- c:\program files\mozilla firefox\components\browsercomps.dll
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"BluetoothAuthenticationAgent"="BTHPROPS.CPL " [X]
"ehTray"="c:\windows\ehome\ehtray.exe" [2005-08-05 64512]
"HDAudDeck"="c:\program files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe" [2009-06-05 33628160]
"StartCCC"="c:\program files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" [2011-04-20 98304]
"TrueImageMonitor.exe"="c:\program files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe" [2010-03-27 5107232]
"Acronis Scheduler2 Service"="c:\program files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe" [2010-03-27 362232]
"HP Software Update"="c:\program files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" [2011-02-18 49208]
"Adobe ARM"="c:\program files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe" [2011-06-06 937920]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="c:\program files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" [2011-04-08 254696]
"QuickTime Task"="c:\program files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" [2010-11-30 421888]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system]
"EnableLUA"= 0 (0x0)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\desktop\components\0]
Source= c:\documents and settings\Owner\Desktop\sparta.htm
FriendlyName=
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\!SASCORE]
@=""
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\security center]
"AntiVirusOverride"=dword:00000001
"FirewallOverride"=dword:00000001
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile]
"DisableNotifications"= 1 (0x1)
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\IVT Corporation\\BlueSoleil\\BlueSoleil_.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"c:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\NexonUS\\NGM\\NGM.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dpvsetup.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\javaw.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\java.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\java.exe"=
"c:\\xampp\\apache\\bin\\httpd.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\Google\\Google Earth\\client\\googleearth.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"=
"c:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe"=
"c:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner\\My Documents\\Downloads\\Garry's-Mod 11\\Game\\hl2.exe"=
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\GloballyOpenPorts\List]
"25565:TCP"= 25565:TCP:minecraft
"25565:UDP"= 25565:UDP:minecraft2
R0 tdrpman258;Acronis Try&Decide and Restore Points filter (build 258);c:\windows\system32\drivers\tdrpm258.sys [7/21/2010 9:25 AM 911680]
R2 afcdpsrv;Acronis Nonstop Backup service;c:\program files\Common Files\Acronis\CDP\afcdpsrv.exe [7/21/2010 9:25 AM 2480048]
R3 afcdp;afcdp;c:\windows\system32\drivers\afcdp.sys [7/21/2010 9:25 AM 160704]
R3 AtiHDAudioService;ATI Function Driver for HD Audio Service;c:\windows\system32\drivers\AtihdXP3.sys [5/25/2011 8:35 PM 101904]
R3 VIAHdAudAddService;VIA High Definition Audio Driver Service;c:\windows\system32\drivers\viahduaa.sys [7/20/2010 3:56 PM 1374464]
S1 SASKUTIL;SASKUTIL;\??\c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.SYS --> c:\program files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.SYS [?]
S2 Akamai;Akamai NetSession Interface;c:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k Akamai [8/10/2004 4:00 AM 14336]
S2 clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32;Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86;c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorsvw.exe [3/18/2010 1:16 PM 130384]
S2 gupdate;Google Update Service (gupdate);c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [11/28/2010 8:47 AM 136176]
S3 EagleXNt;EagleXNt;\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\EagleXNt.sys --> c:\windows\system32\drivers\EagleXNt.sys [?]
S3 gupdatem;Google Update Service (gupdatem);c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [11/28/2010 8:47 AM 136176]
S3 NVHDA;Service for NVIDIA High Definition Audio Driver;c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda32.sys --> c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda32.sys [?]
S3 WPFFontCache_v0400;Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 4.0.0.0;c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\WPFFontCache_v0400.exe [3/18/2010 1:16 PM 753504]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\svchost]
Akamai REG_MULTI_SZ Akamai
Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder
2011-12-20 c:\windows\Tasks\AppleSoftwareUpdate.job
- c:\program files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe [2008-07-30 19:34]
2011-12-23 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-11-28 15:47]
2011-12-22 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
- c:\program files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2010-11-28 15:47]
2011-12-23 c:\windows\Tasks\RealUpgradeLogonTaskS-1-5-21-602162358-789336058-725345543-1003.job
- c:\program files\Real\RealUpgrade\realupgrade.exe [2011-09-27 20:40]
2011-12-18 c:\windows\Tasks\RealUpgradeScheduledTaskS-1-5-21-602162358-789336058-725345543-1003.job
- c:\program files\Real\RealUpgrade\realupgrade.exe [2011-09-27 20:40]
------- Supplementary Scan -------
uStart Page = hxxp://ww2.cox.com/myconnection/arizona/home.cox
mWindow Title =
IE: Add to AMV Converter... - c:\program files\MP3 Player Utilities 4.17\AMVConverter\grab.html
IE: Google Sidewiki... - c:\program files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\GoogleToolbarDynamic_mui_en_89D8574934B26AC4.dll/cmsidewiki.html
Trusted Zone: intuit.com\ttlc
TCP: DhcpNameServer = 172.16.0.1
FF - ProfilePath - c:\documents and settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\i8k5sbyj.default\
FF - prefs.js: browser.startup.homepage - hxxp://ww2.cox.com/myconnection/arizona/home.cox
FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.type - 0
- - - - ORPHANS REMOVED - - - -
URLSearchHooks-{81017EA9-9AA8-4A6A-9734-7AF40E7D593F} - (no file)
WebBrowser-{D4027C7F-154A-4066-A1AD-4243D8127440} - (no file)
catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2011-12-22 17:37
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS
scanning hidden processes ...
scanning hidden autostart entries ...
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HDAudDeck = c:\program files\VIA\VIAudioi\HDADeck\HDeck.exe 1????????????????????????????????????????????????
scanning hidden files ...
scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\Akamai]
"ServiceDll"="c:\program files\common files\akamai/netsession_win_d768ebc.dll"
--------------------- DLLs Loaded Under Running Processes ---------------------
- - - - - - - > 'winlogon.exe'(592)
c:\windows\system32\Ati2evxx.dll
c:\windows\system32\atiadlxx.dll
- - - - - - - > 'explorer.exe'(3460)
c:\windows\system32\WININET.dll
c:\windows\system32\ieframe.dll
c:\windows\system32\webcheck.dll
c:\windows\system32\msi.dll
c:\windows\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceTypes.dll
c:\windows\system32\PortableDeviceApi.dll
------------------------ Other Running Processes ------------------------
c:\windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
c:\windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
c:\windows\system32\RunDLL32.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
c:\windows\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
c:\windows\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
c:\program files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
c:\windows\system32\HPZipm12.exe
c:\program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
c:\program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
c:\windows\eHome\ehmsas.exe
c:\windows\eHome\ehRec.exe
Completion time: 2011-12-22 17:40:20 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2011-12-23 00:40
Pre-Run: 121,567,682,560 bytes free
Post-Run: 121,940,201,472 bytes free
- - End Of File - - 036A62914B9117DBE3BC0F81D4883BCB

#7 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Hi azgreg,

Warning!!

One or more of the identified infections on your system is a a backdoor trojan. (Zero Access)

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

The trojan has been identified and has been killed but because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do. If you do decide to proceed, please continue with the fix below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This particular infection is very nasty and often messes with program permissions and internet access. Please be aware that there are instances where the infection has so corrupted the system that internet access can only be restored by a reinstall of the operating system. Hopefully, that will not be neccessary but I want you to be aware of that possibility.

In your case ComboFix has killed the infection but there are still issues that may need to be addressed.

First, we need to check if any permissions have been compromised.

Step 1.

We need to scan the system with this special tool.
  • Please download Junction.zip and save it to your desktop.
  • Unzip it and put junction.exe in the Windows directory (C:\Windows). <<< Important
  • Go to Start => Run... => Copy and paste the following command in the run box and click OK:

cmd /c junction -s c:\ >log.txt&log.txt& del log.txt

A command window opens starting to scan the system. Wait until a log file opens. Copy and paste or attach the content of it.

In your next reply please include the following:

Junction log

How is your computer running?

Can you boot into normal Windows, do you have internet access and can you run all of your programs?

Thanks!!

Edited by pwgib, 23 December 2011 - 12:21 AM.
syntax

PW

#8 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Hi azgreg,

Do you still need assistance?
PW

#9 azgreg

azgreg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

I think I'm going to take your advice and wipe the computer and reinstall the OS. Any adivce on this?
Also, during this process my sons laptop was hit with the Windows 7 Antispyware 2012 virus. I performed the spyware removal steps
from the main page and there are no more popups, but the system is a little slow. Should I start another thread for his computer?

P.S. Thank you for all your help and Merry Christmas and have a happy New Year.

#10 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi azgreg,

Should I start another thread for his computer?

Yes, have him start a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum.

When you backup data you need to save any files that you want to keep as a clean install of the operating system will completely erase those files.

You can backup or save your files by burning them to CD, saving to a floppy disk, an external drive, flash or thumb drive. These might include word documents, .pdf files, music and pictures. Do not backup any programs or applications. If you use an external drive to save your data you will need to run FlashDisinfector prior to backing up.

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Note that the files with the following extensions should not be backed up:
.exe
.scr
.htm
.html
.xml
.zip
.rar
.asp
.php

2) How do I wipe the drive clean?

If you do not know how to perform a fresh install, use these websites and read for instructions on how to format and reinstall Windows:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!!
PW

#11 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,958 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
PW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users