Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do computer shops re-install Windows?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 techsaurus

techsaurus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hi everyone!

I am trying to figure out how computer fixit shops deal with the issue of having to re-install Windows many times over and over. Especially in cases where the customer only has the Key and no install CD. Do people put together a set of CD's covering all versions of XP, Vista and 7? What is the best solution to this?

Thanx!

- Techsaurus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:17 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Let me put it to you this way
If I had a dollar for every time I have reinstalled Windows from version 3.1 forward I would be living in the Bahamas!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Based on the product ID of the version installed, we can discern which type of Windows install a computer has, retail, OEM, etc. Then, we use the corresponding install disk which we have legally purchased from Microsoft to reinstall the OS. Additionally, the product key (the 25 digit registration key) is retrieved from the registry and entered during the install when prompted.

#4 mr roman

mr roman

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yeah we usually retrieve the product key from the current system, if we cant find it... we ask for all of the original CD's that came with the computer. Otherwise we use the recovery partition.

If all of the above fail, well...... we make it work lol.

Edited by mr roman, 02 January 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

HI,Along the same lines,if computer shops reinstall WINXP do they lose all of the data that you have put on it over the years that you have used it.
The basic question that i have if i use my OEM disk with id numbers will i lose all of the date from C-DRIVE as i understand the D-DRIVE holds OS,THANK'S

#6 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

I always clone the customers hard drive first. The data is important, the hardware is not so.

I have a copy of all of the Windows Operating Systems. I only reinstall if there is a genuine key on the case.

I never use the recovery partitions, i like a nice clean install without trial software and the like.

Then i use ninite.

@lovemypc it depends where you take it. A professional with ensure your data is safe before wiping your PC. There are however many people that work on PCs that will just stick in the nearest Windows CD to hand and wipe what you have.

#7 ShadowsofFate

ShadowsofFate

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Generally the process I go through is as follows:

check with the customer to see if they have data on their system,

if so it gets backed up to a storage box prepared for that purpose,

I have copies of every version of windows going back as far as 95/98 i think

if the customers machine doesnt have a license key on it or like most laptops it has become unreadable I use a piece of software to find out the key, then reinstall the system

I have a massive store of drivers for systems and if I dont have it then I go hunting manufacturers websites for them and add it to the collection

#8 Ralchev

Ralchev

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Let me put it to you this way
If I had a dollar for every time I have reinstalled Windows from version 3.1 forward I would be living in the Bahamas!

Hahhahah good point!
In Bulgaria most of the laptops are linux based, the others are coming with Windows, so what is the problem?

#9 hworta

hworta

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

Computer shops have OEM install packages that install with out needing an install key.

#10 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

There really aren't that many versions.. and the cost is cheap. We have XP slipstreamed with all the latest SPs/updates, and Vista/7 are installed with the latest service packs then we install all available SPs/updates at once with WSUS Offline Update to save hours of time.

We don't do fresh installs unless necessary, and always backup user data if possible :P
Posted Image

#11 alcujas

alcujas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

How do you make a slipstreamed disc with the latest services packs and updates? Is it complicated?

#12 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Its not too bad. XP is the only version that I slipstream. If you're interested, check out http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

The WSUS Offline Update tool is quite handy. Basically it allows you to create an 'update disk' and that you can run on a new installation and have it install all non-system specific updates w/out Windows Update. On a dual layer DVD I am able to have all updates for XP, Vista (32 & 64), and 7 (32 & 64). Also has support for XP 64bit and all the Windows Server OSs. Includes service packs, .NET Framework, IE upgrades, WinDefender, and others. Saves a ton of time vs downloading via Windows Update.

Edited by kisk, 17 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.

Posted Image

#13 techsaurus

techsaurus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Its not too bad. XP is the only version that I slipstream. If you're interested, check out http://www.nliteos.com/index.html

The WSUS Offline Update tool is quite handy. Basically it allows you to create an 'update disk' and that you can run on a new installation and have it install all non-system specific updates w/out Windows Update. On a dual layer DVD I am able to have all updates for XP, Vista (32 & 64), and 7 (32 & 64). Also has support for XP 64bit and all the Windows Server OSs. Includes service packs, .NET Framework, IE upgrades, WinDefender, and others. Saves a ton of time vs downloading via Windows Update.

Thanx for the great tips Kisk!

#14 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hi everyone!

I am trying to figure out how computer fixit shops deal with the issue of having to re-install Windows many times over and over. Especially in cases where the customer only has the Key and no install CD. Do people put together a set of CD's covering all versions of XP, Vista and 7? What is the best solution to this?

Thanx!

- Techsaurus

Its probably their best kept technique or something like that but from what I know, installation CDs have limited number of unit installations even if its a bundle type...

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Computer shops have OEM install packages that install with out needing an install key.

Not so.

Hi everyone!

Thanx!
- Techsaurus

Its probably their best kept technique or something like that but from what I know, installation CDs have limited number of unit installations even if its a bundle type...

Their is no secret, all legal windows based computers are required by Microsoft to have the Product key (License) applied to the computer. Once you have that a installation is easy. If they built it themselves they may not have put the sticker on the computer. In that case they seem to lose it and the disks quite often. :whistle:

The installation CDs or DVDs do not have a limited number of unit installations. The product key that comes with them does however. If you use the customers key off of their computer, that is their license and product key for the version of windows that came on their computer. If they made recovery disks that makes it easy.

I've seen people that were worried that a re-install would lose the programs that came with the computer.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 August 2012 - 10:18 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users