Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wolfie7

wolfie7

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hi

This started a couple of days ago when my display suddenly went psychedelic. A garbled mess of black vertical lines and colours. Rebooting lead to the same garbled display , i had to switch off the power before rebooting to get the display back to normal.

I've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia , but that hasn't solved the problem. My screen still suddenly goes psychedelic , a jumbled mass of colours. A few letters are visible in the mess . I have to undo the power plug each time and then reboot to get a normal display , but it keeps happening.

Grateful for any ideas or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hello!

Sounds to me like a bad video card. I would start looking for a new one. But just to be sure, when was the last time you cleaned out the inside of the computer? Also is there anything that might be causing this to happen?
And last but not least please post your system specs. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 wolfie7

wolfie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Windows XP Service Pack 3.

I gave the inside of my PC a clean up after this first happened. Can't think of any reason why this should suddenly start happening. My Graphics Card is an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS , just over 2 years old.

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Sounds like an electrical short that may be temperature-activated.

Make sure you pull out the GPU when you blow out the dust.

At any rate, there's three main things to rule out:

First try a different cable, then a different monitor. Finally, if neither of those things pan out, either find a friend who has a spare PCI or PCI-E card, or buy some cheapie PCI card from ebay or CL, swap it out and see if the problem persists.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 wolfie7

wolfie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thanks , i'll try those options next time it happens , and give the graphics card a good clean up.

#6 wolfie7

wolfie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:45 AM

Hardware monitor NVIDIA I/O
Temperature 0 79C (174F) [0x4F] (TMPIN0)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Temperature 0 79C (174F) [0x4F] (TMPIN0)

Are those temperatures too high and the possible cause of my problems ?

#7 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

If those are idle temps, then yes, that is quite high. It's somewhat high for load temps.

The most straightforward answer is that your card has not been getting proper cooling and has been getting too hot for too long and has finally started to fail.

However, if it HAS been getting proper cooling, it should be noted that the G86 line of GPUs had a confirmed overheating problem caused by a mistake in manufacture. You may have been bitten by this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_8_Series (bottom of entry)

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#8 wolfie7

wolfie7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

That may well explain it. Many thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users