Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware / Malware / Fake antivirus PREVENTION???

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LS3C6

LS3C6

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

On a daily basis I service many clients that have XP/Vista/7 machines that are fully patched, updated and have the newest version of the browser of their choice, newest JAVA, newest FLASH, newest READER and they still get struck. What is going wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Lots of information at the following links: How did I get infected? With steps so it does not happen again! and Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The best defense is an informed user using good computing habits.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 LS3C6

LS3C6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Lots of information at the following links: How did I get infected? With steps so it does not happen again! and Answers to common security questions: Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall

The best defense is an informed user using good computing habits.

My users claim they go to somewhere such as cnn.com and it just "happens", while I find that hard to believe... but I guess it isnt out of the question banner ads are being poisoned?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Yes, legitimate sites have been known to be infected, also random clicking on ads is dangerous too.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 LS3C6

LS3C6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

Customers are tired of hearing there's no prevention other then user caution, it's annoying that the only solution for the careless user is buy a mac.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Macs are not bullet proof either, just not as targeted. Larger the user base, the bigger the pool of potential victims. Criminals are lazy by nature. It's all about the easy score then move on.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

More about malicious ads in How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 LS3C6

LS3C6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

I understand why it happens, but a surefire way to prevent it would be nice... you can update everything you want, try every browser known to man and run whatever combination of security software you desire... the average consumer will still be infected time and time again.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

I'm sure you understand but your clients probably don't. They need to read the articles we have linked to.

#10 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

I understand why it happens, but a surefire way to prevent it would be nice... you can update everything you want, try every browser known to man and run whatever combination of security software you desire... the average consumer will still be infected time and time again.

depend on the seucrity setup

you can use shadow defender

or sandboxie paid with force sandboxed web browser

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Starting with version 6, avast! offers several new protection features to include WebRep and AutoSandbox. avast! Free Antivirus 6 does not include the full Sandbox module or its enhancements.

AutoSandbox automatically places programs into a virtualized state when it suspects them of being threats. This helps to stop suspicious programs and prevent them from potentially damaging your system while allowing them to run. AutoSandbox permits programs (processes) to run, while keeping track of which files are opened, created, renamed, and what is read or written from the Registry. Since these types of changes are virtualized, when the process terminates itself, the system changes it made will disappear and not have any affect. For more information about this feature, how it works and how it differs from avast! Pro and avast! Internet Security, please refer to avast! 6.x: Using the AutoSandbox.

I can't find any stats showing how effective the AutoSandbox is. What I do know is that our Malware Removal forum has plenty of avast users requesting help to remove infections.

#12 LS3C6

LS3C6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Well I never get infected, so it's hard to believe they simply went to msnbc or facebook and BAM!@# infected... sure, it's great revenue to be able to have the ability to remove the infections fully but after awhile you just start to feel bad for the people that tend to get it 1-2x a month.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

it's hard to believe they simply went to msnbc or facebook and BAM!@# infected

Social networking sites can be a significant security risk which could make your computer susceptible to malware infection. As with gaming sites, users visiting MySpace, YouTube, Facebook...are exposed to innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. Even using Instant Messaging clients can also present a security risk.

Using Facebook can be hazardous to your computer.
Using YouTube can be hazardous to your computer.
Using MySpace can be hazardous to your computer.
Virut file infector found on MySpace user pages
Koobface Worm Attacks Facebook and MySpace Users
MySpace Pages Rigged with Bad Script
Facebook and MySpace Viral Social Networking Spam
Phishers Drop MySpace Bait
Maximus root kit downloads via MySpace social engineering trick
Hackers Exploiting Facebook, MySpace Plug-ins
MySpace malware poses as Windows update
MySpace Hacks Predate Recent Hijack of Alicia Keys Site
MySpace Attacked by Flash Worm
Ad-based Trojan hits MySpace, Bebo and others
Dangerous Malware Detected through Flash Advertisements
Banner Ad Trojan Served on MySpace
QuickTime exploit steals MySpace passwords
QuickSpace: MySpace Tracker Launch by QuickTime
New MySpace Nasty
MySpace Pushing Ads for malware: WinAntiVirus, Drive Cleaner
New MySpace Phish using CSS
Myspace Users Hit By Hacker Virus
Myspace Ad Served Spyware To A Million Computers
Phishing Attack Targets Myspace Users
Myspace Xss Quicktime Worm
Myspace Phishing Alert
Malicious videos open dangerous attack vector (to YouTube and MySpace users)
Zango Adware Found On MySpace
Bogus YouTube clip on Myspace installs Zango Cash
180solutions Jumps In Bed With Myspace

Using Instant-messaging clients can be hazardous to your computer.

#14 ranget

ranget

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

:blink: didn't know that youtube videos can be malicious
so a hacker can craft a malicious video and upload it to Youtube it would still be malicious on youtube ?
i thought that youtube will re convert the video so it can't be malicious :blink:

anyway cool post quiteman really informative

A big thanks to Dider Stevens

sorry for not being around

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

@ ranget Please read what quietman7 wrote again. He did not say create a malicious video. He said a banner ad on the youtube site.

users visiting MySpace, YouTube, Facebook...are exposed to innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users