Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When close lid to laptop, cant get it to turn back on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whosurpopi

whosurpopi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have a gateway nv52 windows 7. If i leave the lid open it will run forever, but as soon as I close the lid, it wont come back on. I have removed the battery,, held the power button in forever, held it upside down, I have tried all the normal fixes. I have taken it apart and found what looks to be a pinched wire on the left side hinge, but not sure what it does, or where it goes. When I push the power button, the dvd drive comes on, and the fan spins, but nothing else. If I put a dvd in, it will spin, and act like it is doing something but nothing on the screen. I did this a couple of months ago, so i took it to a computer repair place that hit me for $50 to replace the power jack, then tell me that it didnt work, and the mother board is bad. After I got it home and plugged, pushed start unplugged about 1000 times, it came on, and I have been using it since until my wife used it and closed the lid. I have since tried it about 3000 times, and it is still dark.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

The pinched wire could be one of several going from largest to smallest

Video to the LCD (LED) Screen. If LCD Power to the inverter, Webcam, usually on the USB bus. Usually two wire for the wireless antennas.

If that wire is one that carries power you could have damaged something.

A simple test hook up a external monitor and then power it on. If that works we can go from there. You may also have to use the FN key with another key usually one of the F keys, to toggle between LCD, External or both settings.

FWIW around here it is $149 + Tax for a DC jack repair and you can tell without taking the laptop apart whether that may help or not. When you plug in the AC Adapter there should be a light comes on to tell if you are getting power into the laptop.
One other thought. You never want to wiggle those power cables as you can end up breaking the solder connection to the Motherboard. With Thinkpads and Toshibas that usually does not happen BTW.
He may have hit you with a diagnostic fee, the $50. Around here once again if it can't be fixed they charge $49 + tax diagnostic fee.
Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:31 PM

Thats why I was so annoyed, I knew the light was on, and it didnt need the jack.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:01 AM

Did you try an external monitor?

Long shot here, But have you tried removing the battery and AC Adapter and pressing the on button to discharge any stored electricity and the only plugging in the Adapter?

Used manual here http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/nv/nv52/NV52ul.shtml

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

I did try the monitor, it shows nothing connected, I also tried the battery/ charger/hold the button thing. Still no power. I had a hard time believing the motherboard was bad, since it did come back on eventually but anything is possible.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

A cracked solder joint for example that is in a circuit that isn't used once it is on could do what you describe.

On a laptop I would also be looking at the switch that turns everything off when you close the screen. If it detects that the screen has not been opened, it most likely won't power up to protect against overheating in a laptop carry case.

This is one possibility considering that it was working until the screen was closed. OTOH you say the DVD drive has power. Have you tried opening the screen all the way and then slowly closing it as you try turning it on?

Do not forget to shine a bright light into the screen to see if that shows anything. If the backlight is out on the screen that will often show a normal screen, just very very dim.

When you turn it on does the power light show that it is on? I have seen some reports that the power button cable to the motherboard can go bad. Also the switch could go bad.

Look at the USB ports for damage. I have seen the little plastic part in there break off and then the 4 connectors can short and cause problems.

Test after each step.

Try one memory at a time in case one is bad.

If you already had it apart as you say you could strip it down to basics. Pull the drives.

On the next step be very careful as some connectors the latch slides back or up to release others flip up, experience is needed to not break them. Unplug the touchpad & keyboard and other parts. Be very gentle as there should be no force needed.

A good local repair shop could do all this testing and pin down the problem. It is to easy to take $50 diagnostic fee and just say motherboard.

If you do a google search for laptop keybaord connector types that will most likely help you see the types used. I've seen three different types in one laptop.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2011 - 05:12 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

For a while, i suspected a switch that detects the top also, however I noticed that if i push the power button on while the lid is closed, it does nothing, no fan no cd spin, no lights. but if i lift the lid, all those things come on, so it is sensing a difference.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

I've seen all the below over time. I had a Sager laptop with two bad USB ports. I made sure the pins were not shorting and filled them with hot melt glue to prevent future problems.

As I suggested look at the USB ports for physical damage.
I have also seen you problem caused by a bad Touchpad
a bad board with indicator lights and controls on a Toshiba. I just left it disconnected since the part was fairly expensive and never used.
In fact I remember a Toshiba where the keyboard killed it, I replaced the keyboard and it happened again about three months later caused by the replacement keyboard, they must have had a bad batch.
Bad memory on a HP dv9000 series where I just assumed the motherboard was bad and set it aside for a while. Silly me that was why it turned on with no display or error beeps etc. I had just assumed the motherboard was bad since the dv9000 series was infamous for bad motherboards. I learned from that one.
I had a desktop where the hard drive killed it.

Nowdays I just unhook everything one at a time including the cables to the screen and use a external monitor for testing.

Right now my current Toshiba is flying thanks to a SSD.
This is my third Toshiba as I remember it. I bought one that the case was rough and replaced the bad looking parts, traded that one to someone for another one that needed some work and then traded that one for my current one to get a bigger screen and dual core.

I find Toshiba manuals through a friend, Dells, Lenovo & HP easier to work on than Gateway. I can get maintenance manuals much easier for them compared to Gateway. Dell, HP & Lenovo service manuals are posted on their websites and available for anyone to use.

Edited by rotor123, 16 December 2011 - 11:43 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users