Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see / connect to other computers on the network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan Stockson

Ryan Stockson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

I am not sure if this should be posted in this forum or not, but it is essentially a windows problem.

I recently had a run-in with a virus/malware that was running ping.exe in my background constantly. I had tried several programs (PC-Cillin, Malwarebytes) which never found the problem. I had found a forum post somewhere else that recommended ComboFix as the solution. Stupid me, I just downloaded it and ran it without reading any of the disclaimers / instructions. On a positive note, all of my virus/malware related problems are solved. However, now I can no longer see any of the other computers on my network.

I have verified that both my NIC and wireless card drivers are both up to date.

I have also changed my workgroup to match up to the balance of the computers on my network, even though I never had to do that previously.

I have tried "repairing" my network connection and get the following error when doing so:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
Clearing NetBT

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network"

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks,

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Worth a look, http://xphunt3r.blogspot.com/2008/11/error-clear-netbt-solved.html .

Louis

#3 Ryan Stockson

Ryan Stockson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Tried the instructions on the link, no change.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hi :welcome: to BC!

Just a shot in the dark but still worth a try, make sure all your file sharing settings are turned on. And make sure file sharing is enabled in windows firewall settings. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Ryan Stockson

Ryan Stockson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Sharing is enabled.

#6 Herring

Herring

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

A couple of things to check with that.

First get "Microsoft Fix it 50203" from http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9662461

Reboot see if that worked.

If not

- First go to c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netbt.sys and make sure that file exists. It it doesn't, find your Windows XP SP3 installation disk and (Start | Run | sfc /scannow) to replace system files that have been changed or deleted (typically it seems are afd.sys, netbt.sys and tcpip.sys these days).

- Then go into Device Manager (Start | Run | devmgmt.msc) and under the View tab, select Show hidden devices. Scroll down to and expand Non-plug and play Drivers. Make sure that NetBios over Tcpip is present. If it is present, double-click on that entry and select the Driver tab. Make sure the current Status is Started and Startup type is System (from the drop-down menu). If it is not present open the Registry editor (Start | Run | regedit) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT . If that registry key doesn't exist you'll probably want to export it from an existing XP set up and import it into the problem machine.

Reboot and scan with updated AV software, MalwareBytes and Super Anti-Spyware. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users