Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Points Disappearing.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

Hi :)

I own a 4GB Thinkpad SL510 laptop, running Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit w SP1 installed.
Lately, I have noticed that my System Restore points disappear. When I open SR and look for restore points, none are there.

To test this, I create one and it creates successfully. I go back and check after a while....and it's GONE. :wacko:

There is no apparent pattern of WHEN they disappear. Sometimes they go after a re-boot, sometimes they stay around for a day or so, then disappear. Sometimes they go away while the computer is still on.

I would guess that this started about 1 week ago...at least that's when I first noticed it.

There is a common error in the event log which I attached here. This seems to coincide with the time I no longer have restore points.

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because of an IO failure on volume C:.

I increased the amount of space for system restore to 40GB (which should be more than enough...this is 20% of my C Drive. I used to have this at 10% with no problems in the past.
I've scanned for viruses and nothing comes up.
I also ran CHKDSK C: /f /r and I found 4kb with bad sectors but no other areas.
Finally, I ran a diagnostic on my hard drive and all tests passed.

I'm pulling my hair out....any ideas to help would be greatly appreciated. :santa: [attachment=113987:volsnap.txt]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

1) Check the space allotted to system restore
2) I'm not a big fan of system restore - it's great when it works, but unfortunately it doesn't always work. Instead I always recommend that EVERYONE should use disc imaging software on a regular basis. It's a much more reliable solution in my opinion.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

The bad sectors are probably the culprit. You can do a search for the error you gave and see confirmation of that.
You should prepare for replacing the hdd. Like Allan says, I too think regular disk imaging on another drive is the way to go.

It is possible at times to repair the bad sectors by using the hdd's manufacturer's software/ hdd tester. Even if it did repair the
bad sectors and you were again able to save system restore points I would still suggest preparing for a hdd replacement.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:51 PM

So, I did some more research...and GOOD NEWS! :busy:

After scanning with my Hard Drive Diagnostic, S.M.A.R.T. test and other HDD checking software, sure enough, I had a bad block.
CHKDSK /r didn't repair the problem, but I downloaded a program called HDD Regenerator (website: here
) and installed it.

After creating a bootable CD, I ran the program and it found and physically repaired the bad sector.

I then rebooted and re-ran my OEM Hard Drive diagnostics and my IO error was gone! :clapping:

Finally, after rebooting into Windows, I noticed that System Restore was once again fully operational. :thumbsup:

I would highly recommend this program to anyone that has bad sectors on the drive.

Oh yeah, I backed up and imaged all partitions on the drive just in case. B)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,255 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for posting back with your solution.

I went to the link you provided. It states that the trial version will repair only the first
bad sector it finds and give a report on the entire hdd. If more than one bad sector
you need to purchase the program ($60) before attempting further repairs.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Yes, that is correct. Since all my tests only showed 1 bad sector...I got this repaired for free.

I read somewhere that once you repair a bad sector, you can "rescan" from the beginning and repair the next bad sector (if you have more than one).
In other words, the workaround for buying the full version is to simply repair one sector at a time and shut down the program each time after doing so.
But don't quote me on that... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users