Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad MB, PSU or both?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Christechie

Christechie

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

I've got a Dell Dimension 4400 that originally had a solid amber power light. If the PC sat powerless for many hours, I was able to boot up, but soon afterward the PC would freeze. When I tried a re-boot, I'd get the solid amber power light. I followed suggestions from multiple tech forums by holding in the power button while the PC was unplugged, to fully drain it. I replaced the CMOS battery, but the problem remained.

I had a spare PSU from a Dimension 8400 and installed it, but the problem remained the same. I'm back to the original PSU. I ordered a refurbished MB and installed it. Now I get no power at all, except for the flea light on the MB. Do I have a bad MB or has the PSU gone bad now?

I was going to install the original MB, but have not had the chance yet. Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thefr34k

thefr34k

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

The PSU you borrowed from the 8400, was it known working in the other computer - if so that would eliminate the PSU as your problem.
The refurbished motherboard doesn't even give you the same results as the original Motherboard(no amber light)
This leads me to believe your refurbished motherboard is DOA (Dead on Arrival) and I would contact whoever you bought it from to have it RMAd for a good working motherboard.

If the motherboard was not the problem you should at least get the same problems you got with the other motherboard (solid amber light)

Edited by thefr34k, 14 December 2011 - 10:58 AM.

#3 Christechie

Christechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

Update to the original post. I replaced the PSU with a refurb for a Dim 4400, while the refurb MB was still installed. Still did not get any power up, only the flea light on the MB, so this confirmed that my refurb was DOA. I re-installed the original MB.

The PC starts to power up and I no longer get an amber power light, it's green. The monitor comes on briefly but only displays that it is in power save mode and then the power light turns amber. The PC does not go through POST. The diagnostic code on the back is as follows: A, B and C are green and D is amber.

Dell's documentation simply states the possible cause as "Other failure". Please contact Dell.

Does anyone have more detailed information on this error code? Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users