Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario CQ56 sleep / hibernate / restart problem, now wont start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 simon savai

simon savai

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

I have a new Compaq presario CQ56 laptop running Windows 7, that wont start.
Initially in the course of hibernate and sleep, it would halt at a memory dumpblue screen, and restart with the usual incorrect shutdown experienced message.

Also, selecting the restart or restart options from Windows 7 start menu would bring it to correctly shutdown but fail power off and stop the fans from running until I press the power button. I'd have to manually restart it.

Four days ago it failed to start for some time. Before leaving my workplace, I shut it down but didn't manually turn off (I had not yet discovered the trick). Reaching home, it didn't start at first until after I left it connected to power for about one hour.

Before I went to work yesterday, I am not sure if I remembered to manually turn it off, but I shut it down successfully as usual. Since then it cannot start nor display any lights, whether I connected it to AC with or without battery, or whether I use battery alone.

Could someone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thefr34k

thefr34k

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

To me it sounds like a failing PSU as all of your problems are power related and now you get no power at all.

You said the laptop is new, is it new enough to bring it back to the store for a swap out with another one?
If not I would contact Compaq (HP) to have it serviced.
Unfortunately with laptops it is not easy to replace the power supply yourself, and typically the power supply is attached to the motherboard as one board.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Call Tech support and they will most likely arrange a RMA warranty repair, Ship you a box with a return label. In the USA I believe you have to take it to FedEx as they don't seem to pay for pickup service from FedEx.

HP does a decent job on warranty some years ago I got warranty on a CD burner that was on its last day of warranty with no problems.

Be very careful. If you search Google for "HP Tech Support" the first three listings are for sponsored links where the name would make you think they are HP unless you look at the real www addresses. Then you see they are not HP. Those are there to entice you to a site where they will try and extract money from you for something that is free from HP.

Go to this page for phone contact numbers.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1
This is one I pulled up from the Real HP website.

One other thought, if there is anything on the hard drive you would hate to lose back it up before you return the computer. They may wipe the drive.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 simon savai

simon savai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

Thank you guys.

Before this problem occurred I had noticed that the shop vendor had lied to me the laptop was on warranty, yet from the start up settings, the OS had been installed in october 2010. That means HP counts it out of warranty period.

To add to my fate, I am in Kenya(Africa), and it appears not to be easy to get HP support from my country.

Anyhow I took it back to the shop, they say that they are going to check where the problem is, and I will cater for the cost of repair. Am now worried that they might overcharge me, or they will spoil it further during the repair. I still have some time to think of what to do next before I can give them a go ahead.

I wish it was something I could do myself.

#5 simon savai

simon savai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

You guys are right.I decided to chech the moherboard, and I just realised that an IC connecting from the main power input is burnt

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

By default Warranty starts from the day of manufacture. However with proof of date purchased the warranty start date should be the date of purchase.

The shops receipt should show date of purchase, make model and hopefully serial number. With that contact HP support and get it registered and do the warranty. You will most likely have to send a copy of the receipt for proof of purchase.

Typical for HP is 90 days for refurbished computers, 1 Year or 2 years for new. There is usually a sticker on the bottom of the laptop that gives the warranty length.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2011 - 01:50 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users