Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purple screen during ubuntu install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

Im trying to install ubuntu 10.04. I can start the install from the cd and i can get through the prompts but when i finish the prompts and tell it to install it shows a purple screen and stays that way. I can move the mouse but other than that nothing. I have tried redownloading the standalone installer abd reburning to cd & dvd. I also tried the usb method with the same results. Any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

How long does it stay that way? I ask because I've had experiences where the installer looked dead, but was actually working. Later I would see changes, or it would complete, or something similar.

It might just be a case of needing to wait longer.

#3 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

I started it around 10pm last night and its at the same screen this morning. /:

#4 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

Aparently this is a known bug. The purple screen is most likely hiding an error message.

We need to get Ubuntu out of the graphical install so it can give us text error messages.

1) Right as the purple screen appears, press F6 and edit the command line to remove "quiet" and "splash". Then press ENTER to let the command run. You should then get any error messages that would indicate why Ubuntu is hanging.

Edited by josh_the_techie, 14 December 2011 - 02:12 PM.

#5 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

@josh_the_techie

I tried what you suggested but I pressed F6 and nothing happened. I tried 11.10 and I was able to install it but upon login it froze. Any ideas?

#6 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

Could you give us some info about the computer that you are trying to install Ubuntu on (i.e. Laptop or Desktop & Model, CPU Model & Speed, Graphics Card Model, etc.)? It could just be that your computer is either too old or it could be that there is some incompatible hardware that is causing Ubuntu to lockup.

#7 supawiz6991

supawiz6991
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

My Computer is a custom Rig.

1.4 GB of Memory

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+

320 GB HDD (SATA)

Motherboard is a TForce 6100-939

Graphics/Chipset
North Bridge: NVIDIA Geforce6100.
South Bridge: NVIDIA nForce 410.

NIC
RTL8201BL/RTL8201CL, supports ACPI, PCI power management.

After trying both 10.04 and 11.10 both have failed me on three different computers. I used the built in disc check function and it comes back corrupt. I decided to go with an older version of UBuntu. UBuntu 8.04 (I know you all are cringing lol) is installed and working. I would like to use the most current release but if it refuses to work there is nothing I can do. It appears to me that the iso files are bad from the source. Any ideas?

#8 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Well, 8.04 is working! :) If the iso is corrupt, then that would cause the problems. Have you tried upgrading via the update function in Ubuntu? That may fix it right there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users