Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi, very weird problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chipmoonk

chipmoonk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Hi,
I have a problem and I worry that the hard disk is destroyed

The other computer contracted a virus Win 7 and I came to this site and followed the article how to remove it. When the virus was gone, the computer was working okay. Other things I could remember is I upgraded Malwarebytes to the free trial. I left it with another person to use. She was the same person to shut down the computer (desktop). The following day, a blank black screen appears and it says this.

No boot device available

SATA 1: None
SATA 2: Installed
SATA 3: None
SATA 4: None

Now, I do not know where to go and what to do

I hope this isn't serious to the point the HD must be changed.

By the way, OS is Windows 7, Computer brand is Dell

Edited by chipmoonk, 14 December 2011 - 03:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Dell...has thousands of models...what specific model is this system?

Have you checked the Dell support webpage under Troubleshooting?

Is there only one hard drive installed?

Did you check your current boot options in the BIOS?

Louis

#3 chipmoonk

chipmoonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

I will get back to you soon on the Dell model but it's a desktop

I have not yet contacted Dell support because my friend called a guy who can try to fix it

Yes, there is only one hard drive. I also have looked into the BIOS and checked the boot devices but still, it was to no avail

Do you think that the hard disk is destroyed or that the only option is to reformat it? There are files there that I would love to recover

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Was the computer moved at any point? It could be the power plug for the hard drive was jogged and got disconnected (rare but seen it before). Do you hear any distinct clicking coming from the computer? Usually the model number is on the front. There is also usually a service tag on the back with a number on it. Supplying us with the service tag number would help us a lot to. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 chipmoonk

chipmoonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Okay, I will try to get the details on Monday (Computer is in the small office)

So far there is no clicking nor sound coming from the CPU. It "sounds" normal, but it isn't working normal.

I am not sure if the power plug was moved or what. Maybe it went that way, I can't say. I will ask the person who was using the computer after me.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

F12 when the Dell logo appears on the screen. That takes you to the boot device selection screen. If the computer is detecting a drive it will be listed there. Also there will be a option for diagnostics.

F2 for setup (BIOS) and see if there is a hard drive listed there? You should see as a minimum a hard drive and a optical drive listed.

If no hard drive is detected then it is on to popping the side if a desktop and checking the connections. The hard drive should have two wires going to it, one is power usually several colors of wire and the other is data usually blue or red and a smaller plug. If you go to Dell at http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection and enter your service tag off of the back of the computer and possibly on the top or side too.

That will take you to the download page. At that page look for the warranty link and see if you still have warranty just in case. Manuals link takes you to manuals for the computer.

Hopefully it is just a loose wire.
Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 14 December 2011 - 06:42 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 chipmoonk

chipmoonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

I am not expert but I have a little familiarity

When I went to the BIOS, I tried setting the primary and secondary boot device. Primary to hard drive and secondary to cd/dvd rom. But It still gives me the same problem.

Now I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing

If I remember right, I think it does not detect the hard drive when I looked through that "blue screen" (I think it was F8 for that computer)

Anyway, thank you for all your replies

By the way, does the CPU needs to be open to check the wires or can it be done without opening it?

Edited by chipmoonk, 15 December 2011 - 02:23 AM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

Yes you do need to open it to see if the wires are attached. If you would give the model or service tag the maintenance manual can be looked up for a link to be posted so you can see exactly where to look to see if the cables are hooked up

What you are saying with the F8 Blue screen if I am understanding you properly is you are getting and error that says something like no detected boot device??

The Bios (F2) is where you look to see if the hard drive is detected.
If the hard drive is showing then it is sounding like you have a windows problem.

F12 when the Dell logo appears on the screen. There will be a option for diagnostics. Try choosing the diagnostic partition and if that comes up do the memory test and the hard drive test and let us know if there are any errors. If you want there are also tests for the rest of the hardware too.

Edited by rotor123, 15 December 2011 - 11:32 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users