Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inventory Programme

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polconv

polconv

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

Does anyone know of a good programme for storing the inventory of items in a building, like a school for example. It would need to have areas for computers, all types of electrical goods and furniture etc. Where serial numbers are required field for electrical goods. It must also be able to create individual area reports for different rooms etc. Hope im not confusing anyone??

Interested to here suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:25 AM

A friend of mine used the last product on this page to inventory his tools for his maintance company. Scan them out, scan then in. I never used the software but it appears you can assign the upc with a description. He claims it will allow you to input general information, including SSN of the item.
Hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

Unless you need a perpetual inventory application, you could use either Excel, Access or MySQL for this kind of database. Using a MS product would make it more portable, since others would be able to understand its mechanics and update or modify it in the future. The key would be to first develop the appropriate fields- - - one of which would be location- - -for the records.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 February 2006 - 09:07 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 polconv

polconv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

Unfortunately programmes such as excel and access are not use. This has to be a full proof system, which records histories ext and must stand up to inspection from profesional auditors. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Acklan- Thanks for that link. I'll look into it.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:15 PM

Polconv I believe it is how the application is managed not as much the application as to if it is secure or not. I believe jgweed has a valid suggestion if you take measures to ensure tampering is limited. That may mean limiting access to the database by encryption or even locking the computer in a room with limited access.
There are many solutions to this problem. jgweed offered one that is probably in house and inexpensive, while I offered one that is turn key and simple to implement.
How secure and reliable it is will be up to you and the SOG, and SOP you enforce at your facility.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 polconv

polconv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yes i understand what you are saying, but it has to be to a very high standard, which can be broken down into different criteria and device history can be tracked. It must follow strict guidleines from the Scottish Executive (yes, i live in scotland. lol).

The current programme being used was costom made at a fairly high cost several years ago, and does work ok, although it is not the easiest to navigate around. It was not intended for having so many electrical devices as we now have in this day and age.

Thanks for taking time to think about it anyway.

#7 afterhours

afterhours

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:30 PM

Yes i understand what you are saying, but it has to be to a very high standard, which can be broken down into different criteria and device history can be tracked. It must follow strict guidleines from the Scottish Executive (yes, i live in scotland. lol).

The current programme being used was costom made at a fairly high cost several years ago, and does work ok, although it is not the easiest to navigate around. It was not intended for having so many electrical devices as we now have in this day and age.

Thanks for taking time to think about it anyway.

Hey there.

My personal CPA/attorny recamended me "PeachTree Accounting" by Sage.
I got the "standard accounting" version, and it is what she recamended for professional use, to submit to professionals (like her self) and it tracks inventory, sku's, purchase price, profit, shipping, etc etc.

Another software program you can try is QuickBooks 2006 i heard has inventory control.

Good luck
~VAIO~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users