Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible video card problem

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hi All,

Sony VAIO RB40 Specifications
Part # VGCRB40
Key Specifications SONY VAIO RB40
Manufacturer
Sony
Manufacturer Part # VGC-RB40
Processor

Type
Intel Pentium 4 530J 3 GHz
Data Bus Speed
800 MHz
Cache Memory
Type
L2 cache
Installed Size
1 MB
RAM
Installed Size
512 MB
Technology
DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed
400 MHz

Storage
2x Hard Drive
200 GB, 7200 rpm + seagate barracuda 1 TB
Storage Controller
Type
IDE
Optical Storage
Type
CD-ROM / DVD±RW (+R double layer)
Read Speed
32x (CD) / 8x (DVD-R) / 16x (DVD+R) / 2.4x (DVD +R DL)
Write Speed
24x (CD) / 4x (DVD+RW)
Display
Monitor
Not Included
Graphics Processor / Vendor
Intel GMA 900
Video Memory
Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0
Audio Output
Type
Sound card
Compliant Standards
AC '97
Telecom
Modem
Fax / modem
Max. Transfer Rate
56 Kbps
Networking
Networking
Network adapter
Data Link Protocol
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
Expansion
Expansion Slots Total
2 ( 0 ) x memory, DIMM 184 pin
1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x16
1 ( 1 ) x PCI Express x1 PCI
1 ( 1 ) x Memory Stick
1 ( 1 ) x SD Memory Card
1 ( 1 ) x CompactFlash Card, type I/II
1 ( 1 ) x xD Picture Card
1 ( 1 ) x SmartMedia Card
Interfaces 1 x network, Ethernet 10Base T/100Base TX, RJ45
6 x Hi Speed USB, 4 pin USB Type A
1 x keyboard, generic, 6 pin mini DIN (PS/2 style)
1 x mouse, generic, 6 pin mini DIN (PS/2 style)
1 x display / video, VGA, 15 pin HD D Sub (HD 15)
1 x parallel, IEEE 1284 (EPP/ECP), 25 pin D-Sub (DB 25)
1 x audio, line in, mini phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire), 6 pin FireWire
1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire), 4 pin FireWire
1 x headphones, output, mini phone stereo 3.5 mm
1 x microphone, input, mini phone 3.5 mm
Miscellaneous
Input Device
Mouse, keyboard
Compliant Standards
ACPI
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Software Included Drivers & Utilities, Corel WordPerfect, InterVideo WinDVD, Sony Click to DVD, Sony PictureGear Studio, VAIO Media, Sony DVgate Plus, VAIO Recovery Wizard, VAIO Help and Support, VAIO Update, VAIO Zone, Sonic RecordNow! 7, Sony SonicStage 2.1, Quicken 2005 New User Edition, Norton Internet Security (90 days subscription)
Power Device Type Power Supply
Voltage Required AC 110/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
Power Consumption Operational 430 Watt thermaltake psu
Installed Qty 1

the machine just one day out of the blue put up a weird display consisting of color block pattern that changes every few seconds with one certain pattern resembling a bill cosby sweater. i shut it down, only to power it back up to find the same display accompanied by a looping boot and power shut off, then automatically powers back up. upon further study, i try to get in windows safe mode with the f8 key during boot, and still get the same display, but no looping boot, it stays powered up. i can't deduce whether a diskless system restore attempt is in order or a video card replacement? the present card doesn't have fans. could this be malware or hardware issue? thanks.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Can you try it with another video monitor and with onboard video only? Sounds to be a hardware problem. Have you tried cleaning the contacts and reseatting the graphics card?

Tekken

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

yes, tried another monitor ...same thing. will open the case up and have a looksie at the contacts. here is a photo of the screen. how do i get to onboard video only? i recently had too update the ati video drivers about a year ago to go with the samsung b2030 flat screen upgrade

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

The onboard video is the graphics chip that came with the mobo. By removing the graphics card physically and or driver, onboard will be use by default.

Tekken

#5 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

ok, will dismount the card and see what happens.

#6 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

excellent, it is running now that i removed the card and plugged the monitor into the auxiliary port, thanx...now i just need to look up a compatible card, been reading how tricky that is to find a card that won't corrupt anything..thanks again

#7 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

can i use the puter with the video running like that? is the a risk of another malfunction running onboard video only?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

yes, you can still use the computer-thats what the integrated card is there for, it wont cause any damage using it. there will just be a slight drop in performance, if your not a heavy system tasker then chances are you will never notice.

Edited by the_patriot11, 15 December 2011 - 12:02 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:23 AM

got somewhat lucky with a seamless gpu installation, installed an nvidia geforce 210, but now the case fan is revving like 2x what it used to spin and is slightly noisy, with no variation in rpm. can a gpu install alter the case fan rpm like that? any recommended apps to monitor how the case fan rpm is getting manipulated by any other components than mobo? anyone experience a similar scenario? psu fan is still steady in behavior and chipset fan is performing normally. should i just count my blessings and live with the slight change? after reading how others have been hindered with gpu install issues, maybe i should just leave well enough alone.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

a dedicated graphics card produces heat, and can raise your system temperature, causing your motherboard to increase the speed of your system fan to keep your system at the proper temperature. Its also possible its not your system fan at all, if your graphics card came with its own fan on the card, it may be what your hearing (they can be noisy especially running at higher RPM) I don't know if you graphics fan is doing this since I dont know which nvidia 210 you purchased-some brands use passive cooling (no fans) while others use fans. I would suggest opening the side of the case and listening carefully to find out exactly what fan is making the increased noise. Its also possible its unrelated-your system fan may just be going bad.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

affirmative.. it is the case fan with annoyingly increased shiftless rpm since the install. the fan stays constant no matter what apps may be running. this machine of mine is an oem build that i should have never bought in 2006 that needed a slim gpu upgrade a week ago due to the original gpu meltdown. i had two choices when i went shopping for the slim gpu . i had the nvidia geforce 210 with the active fan cooling, or the radeon* with the passive cooling fins. i still have time (7 days) to trade the old nvidia for the other radeon passive cooling gpu that the salesman recommended.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

The passive cooling will throw heat into the case that may make the case fan run faster. If you GeForce 210 fan does not vent out of the case then the same problem.

Many people are happy using the built-in video as long as the most demanding game they play is Solitaire.
My other take on it is that any video card with a fan on it can clog up the heatsink or suffer fan failure.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

try downloading speedfan and see where your temps are at, and if they work, you may be able to use this program to turn the fan speed down (maybe sometimes you cant adjust the fan speeds) if you can, try to find a balance between noise and proper cooling.

picard5.jpg

#14 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

thanks guys,

i think i just need to learn to live with it. the confounding variable is when i shut the machine off and leave it off for cooling overnight, the next day upon startup when everything is cooled off, same constant heightened rpm from case fan despite the cool case.. the graphical apps i use are coreldraw and adobe illustrator, those apps prefer a dedicated gpu. the gpu in my machine has the fan facing down right onto a multimedia card just below it... the old card was only 128 mb and ran fine for several years, but i do miss my quiet puting. thanks again for the help.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:11 AM

sometimes you have to do what you have to do, though another quick fix is to purchase a new fan. When you go onto a site such as newegg, and find the size fan your looking for, in the details they often list the noise level-look for a quiet one. You can usually find a good one for less then $10. Anyway, sorry we couldnt be anymore help, feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Edited by the_patriot11, 28 December 2011 - 04:11 AM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users