Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore fail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anthonyp

anthonyp

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

I had the "system fix" virus. Bleeping computer and malware thru much work finally killed it. Malware now sweeps are clean. Norton 360 sweeps are clean, but there are still some problems.
Windows Vista 64
I tried to run system restore and it tries but half way thru running it kicks out and says system can not restore. I have tried a few different restore dates all with the same result. I have now tried sfc/scannow and the response is :Windows Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. And the details are in the cbs.log
I looked at the log but i don't know what it said.
Other wierd things are going on like when you left click the start button no programs show up, but you can search for them and find them.
Other things like no word, excel icons or programs... but when you click on documents it opens and runs just fine..

Thanks for any help..
signed totally lost.
I hate that Bleeping virus..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

I know you don't want to hear this, but it's my feeling that sometimes the best option after your system has been badly infected is a fresh start (format and clean install). It's not something I suggest lightly or often, but if I were in your situation it's what I'd do.

Also, instead of relying on system restore, you might want to consider using disc imaging software on a regular basis. Aside from anything else, when used properly and regularly it will give you a safe haven - even from nasty malware.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

I've had mine a couple of times won't do a system restore its say I need to do a scandisk\chkdsk on startup, I do that and it works again.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users