Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Repair XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 billbranch

billbranch

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I managed to clean up my system, scans are clean, the only thing I didn't do is registry. I did screw up and deleted TEMP files.
I want to boot to the XP Pro disc and do a repair, but Setup doesn't recognize that there's an OS there to repair.
Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

A little more information on exactly what the problem is could be helpful.
What exact issues are you having at this point?

What were the past issues and how did yuu clean the system?

A repair install might not be what you want to do at all.
I have found that it really can make more of a mess of things than it is worth.

Give us more info please
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 billbranch

billbranch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

Last week my office PC got the Simple Fix/System Restore Malware. I managed to run Exterminate It in Safe Mode before too much damage was done. My Microsoft Security Essentials picked off the Alureon Trojans.
Unfortunately, one of the forums I was following said to delete all Temp files, which is where the Malware put all of my Start Menu, Quick Start items, shortcuts. Now, off the Start Menu, I no longer have Recent Documents, and my files are not as they were before the disaster.
I want to run the Repair to try to reestablish the files as they were. I did run a utility Reimage Repair, but Windows Setup still doesn't see the OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users