Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Date And Time Error Prevents Updates?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:53 PM

Every time I try to update my system, Windows Updates gives me the following message:

[Error number: 0x80072F8F]
Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update certificate. To fix this:
1. In Control Panel, open Date and Time Properties.
2. Ensure that the date and time are correct.

Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

I have repeatedly checked this, and the date and time on the computer are as correct as I can get them, but I keep getting that same error message. Any and all help would be appreciated. I am running Win2kPro.

Thanks,
wicky

Edited by wicky, 04 February 2006 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:52 AM

Download Atomic Clock program from here:
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

Install it and ping the server, then allow it to set your clock to the exact time.

After you accomplish that, double click on the clock in your taskbar, click the "timezone" tab at the top. and make sure the computer is set for the timezone you live in. Make sure the date is set accurately as well.
Click "Apply" and then "OK'.

That should solve your problem as far as the correct time and date is concerned.

Next - make sure your Windows Updates are set on automatic by clicking on the Windows Update button in your start menu (start/Windows Updates)

Once you get the Windows Update page click on "Automatic Updates on the right side. Make sure it is set to update and install automatically. Set it to check "every day" at a time when you know your computer will be connected to the internet and on.

If you find that your computer clock is loosing time and your computer is more than a couple of years old, your cmos battery may need replacement.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 February 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

Okay, I did what you said...and I still got the same message from the updates page. Said that my time was not in sync with one of the certificates? I don't understand this at all. The atomic Clock only adjusted the date by 1 minute.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:23 AM

How current is your system? What service pacs have been installed?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:40 AM

When you connect to the Windows Update web site, and scan for Windows XP updates, you may receive one of the following errors:
0x80072F8F
0x800B0001
0x80244001

You receive 0x80072F8F:
The date / time on your computer is too different from the date / time of the SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificates used by the Windows Update site.
To resolve this problem, correct the date / time and / or time zone information.

Windows IT Pro
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBQ/tip8400/rh8430.htm

Make sure your date and time zone are set correctly as I described previously.

#6 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:42 AM

The whole thing was just reformatted...and windows update let me download SP4 without a problem. It was AFTER that download that I got the error message. Not sure if that's what you mean by how current it is. This is the first time I've ever come across this problem before...or even heard of it.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:45 AM

There is a "Rollout" after SP4. Getting that will make your op system current.

Open the time/date set dialog by clicking on the clock or opening the control panel and clicking in "Time" and make certain that your computer is set for the proper time zone and date as well as the proper time.

Edited by Enthusiast, 05 February 2006 - 04:48 AM.

#8 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

My mistake, I didn't mention that I had done that several times...and as far as I can tell, that part is done right. Where do I find the Rollout thing? Is that the actual name, or is there some other title I should look for?
I appreciate your help.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:02 AM

The following url has the download link:

Download Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 for Service Pack 4
To make it as easy as possible for customers to maintain the security and stability of their Windows 2000 systems, an updated version of Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) is now available to download.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 February 2006 - 02:03 AM.

#10 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:00 AM

okay, the rollout is downloaded. windows still says my time and date are out of sync, tho.

#11 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:48 AM

Problem is fixed...had to run dos command and do 'regsvr32' on 4 different .dll's. Date and time are now correct. Thank you very much for all your assistance. I learned some new stuff from you!

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

Are you sure the year is set properly too?

#13 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:16 PM

Enthusiast...the date and time were all correct...in DOS, BIOS and in the Control panel date/time category. The problem was with the .dll's not being registered...got that done and no longer get that error from windows update. Now, I get something else! :thumbsup:

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:08 PM

What else are you getting now?

#15 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

keeps doing a dump of the physical memory. PAGE_FAULT_IN_UNPAGED_AREA. A tech friend of mine said that he thinks it could be fixed if I added more memory. Other than that, the update site says my downloads can't be installed. I don't know wy not, as it tells me to refer to my installation history, but there aren't any updates installed, so there isn't a history...is this a good time to mention that I really HATE computers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users