Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro with Vista home basic

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

I have a Dell Vostro with Vista basic and I would like to restore it to when it was made but I do not have a disc. Am I able to do this via the recovery partition on the D drive? If so I have been unable to locate specifics for this machine. I have tried a few options such as f8 but there is no option for repair. I have tried ctrl with f11 upon reboot but that does not work either.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

You might want to post your specific Dell Vostro model number.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Oh sorry, it is a Dell Vostro A860 laptop.

it is either that or PP37L

either number pulls up an image of the same laptop.

Edited by 4on4off, 13 December 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#4 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Not sure if this info helps or not but on the recovery drive the folders are as follows:

dell: empty ( is this where the image should be?)

program files: two folders within ( common files and internet explorer)

sources: two folders within ( en-us and recovery)

tools: empty

users: one folder ( public)

windows: too many folders to list

Still searching ..........

#5 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_336966&isLegacy=true

Restore the computer's software to original condition.

Using Dell Factory Image Restore in Windows Vista
Notice:
Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.
2 As the computer starts, press <F8> on the keyboard until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
Note:
You must press <F8> before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press <F8> after the Windows logo appears on the screen, the Advanced Boot Options menu will not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

3 Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.
4 Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
5 Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6 Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7 In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8 Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
9 Click Next.
The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.
10 When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

#6 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

Porthos,

Thank you for the reply but when using F8 and accessing the advanced boot options menu there is no repair option.

#7 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

It would appear that I am missing the factory.wim file that should be located in the Dell folder on the D drive. Is there anyway to replace this, build my own with the remaining information on my D drive or do I have to bite the bullet and pay for a disc?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Have you verified that the recovery partition is empty? The Dell recovery files are set to hidden.

If they are still there then it should be recoverable. I have recovered a Dell where the recovery options had gone astray. The .wim file was still there so It was possible to do the recovery. You first need to see if the file is truly gone or just hidden.

If your computer still boots that would be the easiest. Please let me know.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Rotor,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes the computer still boots and is usable. I didn't think about the hidden aspect. I am currently doing some updates and will see about showing hidden files when it is down.

#10 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

Rotor,

I went into folder options and checked show hidden files and I unchecked hide protected operating system files but I still do not see the .wim file in the dell folder on the recovery partition on the D drive.

Thanks again for your input.

#11 Jimbo4u

Jimbo4u

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

The above did not work for me. I could see the D: partition with the Restore. I pressed F8 after the Dell White bar went across. I selected Repair, then chose a User with Admin Rights. and proceeded to the Restore Computer to Factory settings. This was for a Dell XPS 420, Vista Home Premium.
looking foward into the past or backward into the future i walk along the highest hills and i laugh about it all the way - e e cummings

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

When you right click on that drive and choose properties does it show a lot of used space?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#13 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

The above did not work for me. I could see the D: partition with the Restore. I pressed F8 after the Dell White bar went across. I selected Repair, then chose a User with Admin Rights. and proceeded to the Restore Computer to Factory settings. This was for a Dell XPS 420, Vista Home Premium.

Jimbo,

Thank you for the reply. I do not have that option when booting using F8.

#14 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

When you right click on that drive and choose properties does it show a lot of used space?

Rotor,

Thank you for the reply. It shows just under a gig being used. Not sure if it is ok to add an attachment and I have to run north for a bit so I don't have time to do the photobucked thing but I will set that up when I have time later.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

At worst you can use the license sticker on the bottom with any Vista Home Basic OEM disc. The drivers can be downloaded from Dells website @ www.dell.com

Or order the disc set from Dell which should include the OS disc. a driver disc. if a DVD or DVDRW drivein the computer then burning software and DVD playing software

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users