Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFI-Router Issues.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jama34

jama34

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

I found myself in a problem that I cannot figure out at all. My router will automatically reset itself and turn off the internet when I try to connect any device (Pc, Kindle,iPod, etc.) via WiFi. However, If I run an ethernet cable into my laptop I can access the internet and router without any problems. I have changed the routers firewall settings back to default. I have also switched out the router with another, but the problem still exists. Any ideas on what I should do?

Edited by jama34, 13 December 2011 - 07:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hello! :welcome: to BC!

Does this continue to happen with a different router as well? Did you change any settings that may have caused this?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 jama34

jama34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

The problem still exists after switching out the router with a new one yes, I also restored all of my settings back to the factory default, including the firewall.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

Who is your isp? And you may need to contact them as it may be an issue on there side.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 jama34

jama34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

That is the thing,I have done that as well. They told me it was a personal issue with my router..I like to think I am decent with networking but I am stumped on this one. Do you think it could be virus trying to broadcast across the network? Therefore, The router shuts off automatically?

#6 jama34

jama34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

A virus on the desktop (desktop is connected via ethernet cable), then when I connect a device with Wifi, the virus tries to access that device by going through the routers firewall? Therefore, shutting it down. Can that happen? Or would the firewall just block it?

Edited by jama34, 14 December 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#7 jma534

jma534

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think the firewall would just handle traffic going out of or coming into your network, not traffic on the network itself.

Is the router's IP address conflicting with the address handed out by the ISP modem?

Try setting up a LAN only.....reset router to factory default, connect one PC hardwired to router and one WIFI connection, do not connect router to your modem.

Try the WIFI settings as open first, then adjust security as desired if you can connect.

Let me know if that works, ie you can create a local network

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:35 AM

What router model and have you check the manual for your router for default settings? Check also for firmware updates for the router and run Minitool box while on wireless to post network details.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users