Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get ONE program to connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kingfinger

kingfinger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

I play (played) a game called City of Heroes for six years. This past year the developers decided to roll out a new game launcher, that simply will not work on my computer.

I've made sure that the windows firewall allows it access,tried running it w/o avg running, w/o super antispyware running, i've worked with the developers of the game to make sure it's nothing on their end, all to no avail.

I can download the launcher fine, but when I run it, it says "There is either a problem with your internet connection, or the update server is currently down. You may retry or skip this step." .

I can retry for hours, no luck. If i skip the updating process and go right to the main menu, I can choose to install any one of thier games, but if I try, all i get is a message saying :the install information could not be downloaded, please try again in a few minutes." Again, I can retry till i'm blue in the face, no luck.

I'm not computer savvy at all, so this has been very frustrating. Not sure what I can do next, any suggestions are welcome!

oops, *edit* Windows XP,service pack 3 installed, .net 3 framework installed (these two are apparently must-haves for the launcher) AVG free, superanti spyware free edition, and windows firewall. Is there anyhting else I can put here that may be helpful?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I think you need to contact them directly. It's their product. And I'm willing to bet they have a help forum and you aren't the only one having this problem.

#3 kingfinger

kingfinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

I was in non-stop contact with them for about six months prior to the launcher going live. They gave access to it early to wrinkle out the issues. I had dozens of emails back and forth with thier suggestions and things, none of which worked.

They basically told me they were out of ideas and that the issue had to be on my end. The help forums have done me no good there either, and there has been no report there from anyone else having the same issue.

This is the most recent thread I had started there http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=266027

Edited by kingfinger, 13 December 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

Based on that thread, they think it's your internet connection. That you tried it on another computer with the same ISP and got the same results confirms that. Maybe your ISP is throttling your connection. And maybe it's time to switch if they don't knock it off.

#5 kingfinger

kingfinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

I switched to a new ISP yesterday. Still having the same issues. Frustrating as can be. Switched from Cox to Century link.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Well, I don't know about your ISP but mine has different levels of service and if you're not subscribing to a high enough level, there are things you won't be able to do. But FYI, ISPs throttling internet service is more common than you think but they're not going to admit it unless you escalate the problem to a higher management level and actually get them to look at it. They don't want to do that because then it means they have to spend the money and time to look at possible deficiencies in your area. It only takes one faulty connector to screw up your internet connection and I know it happens because it happened to me several years ago. They found a faulty connector in the street and that solved the problem. But cable companies don't want to look at that stuff. Be a pest and you may get results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users