Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Download speed on Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 korniceman3000

korniceman3000

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi,

I am not sure what is wrong with my browser or whether any of this is caused by a virus. My internet was working fine yesterday downloading at about 159 KB/s but now everything is downloading at less than 70 KB/s. This all happened when I suddenly lost the dsl connection and upon reconnect, everything I download is extremely slow. I have tried resetting the modem and setting up a new network connection but still the same result. I have scanned the computer using MBAM, Superantispyware, Avast, and Avira but all have shown up negative for viruses. My DSL provider performed a line test and said the line was fully operating and functional. I was able to confirm that because when I downloaded a file via utorrent, it reached speeds in excess of 145 KB/s. I also tried downloading links via orbit downloader and it too reaches speeds beyond 145 KB/s. However, whenever I try downloading anything using Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and IE directly, it downloads at 70 KB/s or less like it is either being blocked or filtered through something and the speed continually decreases little by little. I have also disabled the Avira antivirus webguard but it didn't change. I am running Windows Vista Home Edition and this problem occurs in Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Opera. I also can't find any programs running in the background that may be slowing the connection. Also, my dsl is connected directly from the phone line jack to the modem and straight to the laptop and there is no router.

PLEASE HELP! I have no idea what to do!

Thank you for the assistance. Your help is greatly appreciated!!
Best regards
JTL

Edited by korniceman3000, 13 December 2011 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

You have 2 antivirus installed and running. Have you thought about the modem replacement. The speed bandwith you are having is way below for any ISP plan subscription. What is your current subscribed connection speed? Have you tried other computers connecting via your modem?

Tekken

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

Go here and do a speed test: speedtest.net and post your results here.
Also it is NOT recommended to have two antiviruses installed and running at once.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 nnoa110

nnoa110

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hi korniceman3000,

Generally, disabling the anti-virus protection is not enough as the low level driver will continue to operate. Therefore, as the 2 posters have mentioned, please remove either Avira or avast! to rule out the potential conflict between these programs as a culprit.

To Uninstall anti-virus software:

1. Uninstall the program by add/remove feature (this can be accessed from Control Panel) and reboot if prompted.
2. Run the removal tool which are specified in here (01c for avast! and 04 for Avira), then reboot your system once again.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: added more info

Edited by nnoa110, 14 December 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#5 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hi everyone and thank you very much for the replies!

I have run the speed test which gave the following results.
Ping: 96 ms Download Speed: 1.51 Mbps Upload Speed: 0.30 Mbps

My ISP is Earthlink and my subscription plan is 1.5 Mbps DSL at $40/month. The maximum download speed I have ever received was roughly 160 kB/s. I haven't tried another computer because I only own a laptop. The modem was the one provided by Earthlink and the technical support staff usually have a link of some sort so they can do troubleshooting if necessary.

Also, could you please recommend which antivirus I should retain? I like both as each has it's own unique benefits (Avast has auto update, a sandbox function while Avira has a very strong virus detection system).

Please advise.
Thank you for the help.It is much appreciated!
Best regards,
JTL

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Avast is my choice because its lightweight and it also has a very good all around network shield meaning it blocks everything bad on every aspect of all the various incoming connections. But before we can trouble shoot the download speed you must first uninstall one of the two antivirus's :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Since you get full speed to some places (Speedtest.net and torrents) have you verified that it's not just a specific site or two? Try a large (100mb+) download from a popular site such as Adobe or Microsoft to see what your speed averages out to be.

#8 nnoa110

nnoa110

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

I also recommend retaining avast!. avast! is very light on system and its Web shield and Script shield is very good against hacked/malicious website as these components scans every scripts and codes on the websites. :wink:

Sorry but I'm not too sure about Avira. I haven't tried them in ages.

Hope this helps

#9 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies and recommendations.

I will remove Avira and retain Avast as my primary antivirus. Before I remove avira, can you please advise as to whether any of the viruses quarantined within Avira will be re-released if I uninstall? Or are those viruses stored in quarantine already permanently de-activated?

Regarding the speed of my downloads, it seems that regardless of site (Adobe, Microsoft, CNet, Mediafire, Megaupload, or a direct link to a file on a server) each time I try to download something via a browser (Chrome/IE/Firefox/Opera), the overall speed is always reduced by at least 30% or more. What would normally download at 155 kB/s would download at 90 kB/s or 60 kB/s. The larger the file, the slower the initial download speed. Initially, I thought it was the webguard in Avira that was scanning archive files such as zip and rar so I disabled it but the download speed reduction remained the same. However, every time I download via torrent, I get at least 145 kB/s and when I use orbit downloader, I always get 158 kB/s minimum with periodic moments exceeding 178 kB/s. I do not understand why the browser downloads seem to cut the speed by so much. Also, there many moments when I try to connect to a page such as yahoo, google, youtube, facebook, or bleepingcomputer and I will receive a message that says:

This webpage is not available
Google Chrome's connection attempt to www.yahoo.com was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the wrench menu > Options > Under the Hood > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): The server refused the connection.

I never used to have this problem and all my browser settings have remained unchanged or are the default settings. I also scanned the computer using MBAM, Superantispyware, and Avast but they found nothing (no browser hijacks either). Could this have anything to do with flash/java or any of those other things. I get updates from Securia PSI and I usually install whenever something new is recommended...

Please advise. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you again for your patience.
Best regards,
JTL

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

As long as you STILL have 2 antiviruses installed, your slow connection speed would still be unchanged. Do not worry of any quarantined or remove threats from either antivirus. Just uninstall one and then check again your bandwith. Can you check also for any 3rd party firewall installed you might have missed posting? Or any webshield, scanners installed? Can you browse normally other than the downloading issue?

Edited by jhayz, 15 December 2011 - 07:06 PM.

Tekken

#11 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Hi everyone.

I just removed Avira antivirus and only have Avast on my system but the problem persists. In fact, now I can only download at around 40 kB/s via any browser. I have already disabled Avast during download to prevent any webguard from interfering but the speed hasn't changed. I only have the standard Windows firewall since the beginning but that has never affected my download speed. I performed another speed test and was given the following results:
Ping: 99 ms Download Speed: 0.92 Mbps Upload Speed: 0.31 Mbps

However, when downloading via torrent, I still achieve speeds of 140+ kB/s and when using orbit downloader, speeds over 160 kB/s. However, any sort of download via a browser becomes extremely slow, like it is being blocked or filtered by something I don't know of. Also, there are moments where I have to refresh the webpage I am loading multiple times before it manages to show all the pictures, flash files, etc. Otherwise, there are missing pictures, files, and the total arrangement of the webpage is a complete mess or only text. Also, sometimes when right clicking on links, the pop-up selection refuses to appear.

Please advise on what might be causing this problem. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you again for your assistance.
Best regards,
JTL

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

I believe your downloading option is normal. The commercial or subscribed bandwith is not the same as downloading to any website. Having a 1 mbps connection speed from your ISP does not mean you can download at the same connection speed. Another cause is the host site.

Tekken

#13 nnoa110

nnoa110

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:30 AM

I believe these issues you are experiencing are quite ordinary.

I have tried downloading a file using both downloading via browser (firefox) and DownThemAll (firefox addon) and noticed that while downloading via browser gave me a download speed of 150KB/s, DownThemAll offered constant speed of 260KB/s.

I have already disabled Avast during download to prevent any webguard from interfering but the speed hasn't changed

Have you disabled all the shield?

#14 korniceman3000

korniceman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi everyone and thank you for replying.

However, I have to disagree with the idea that this is normal. I have been an Earthlink DSL subscriber for over 10 years and regardless of browser (IE/Firefox then more recently Opera and Chrome) I have always achieved consistent download speeds of 150 kB/s and above and speeds have never ever dipped below 140 kB/s. I fully understand that subscription bandwidth is not the same as downloading bandwidth. Given that I have a 1.5 Mb/s subscription, I would have to divide that by 8 to get the maximum line speed of 187.5 kB/s and then take into consideration the distance of my modem from the Earthlink central dsl server which would subtract at least 5-10 kB/s from that giving me a maximum download speed somewhere between 162-177 kB/s (a number I am able to achieve fairly consistently using orbit downloader mainly because it uses virtually every connection I have).

This problem only started shortly before I made this post on Bleeping Computer and has continued to slow my browser download speed little by little. When I first posted, my avg. DL speed was about 90 kB/s. Then as I continued each day it got slower, dropping to 60 kB/s. Then after I removed Avira, it was about 40 kB/s. I just performed another speed test with the following results:

Ping: 216 ms Download Speed: 0.86 Mbps Upload Speed: 0.14 Mbps

I now can only download at a maximum of 36 kB/s from any site/download link (regardless of host site or directly from a local server) via any browser. However, when downloading the exact same link using orbit downloader, it reaches speeds of 155+ kB/s. Also, I can still achieve 140+ kB/s on torrent. It's almost like there is some kind of a filter or cap being placed over any of the browsers, preventing it from downloading beyond a certain speed. My ISP has also tested the line and found it fully operational. I have already disabled all the webguards and basically deactivated Avast but my browser download speed has only gotten slower.

Please advise on any procedures or software I can use to analyze what may be causing this sudden and consistent drop in speed only when downloading via browser.

Thank you for the help.
Best regards,
JTL

Edited by korniceman3000, 19 December 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Reset the router and check any configurations regarding downloading or web filter options. Clear your cache and junk files.

Edited by jhayz, 19 December 2011 - 08:16 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users