Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with migrating a Word 2003 file to Word 2010

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Details:
Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Microsoft Office 2010

My user has spent years building her Auto-Text feature within Word 2003 to the point it is now, but her company just bought her a new Windows 7 Pro machine with Office 2010 installed. She asked that I migrate her Auto-Text data to Word 2010. After researching on google.com I found that this data is stored in a Normal.dot file and this file needs to be migrated to (in Windows 7)
C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office.

Having done this, I now find the Normal.dot file I placed there in this location, as well as a new Normal.dot file that Word 2010 has created, but the two aren't merging. I see the new file has macros enabled... Does anyone have any ideas on how to merge these files into one file useable by Word 2010?

Thanks,
S~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

Normal.dot is the global template for Microsoft Word and is stored in different locations on the system based on the version of Windows and Word.

You dont want to merge them you want to backup the existing normal.dot file to something like normal.old.
Then replace the file in the correct location, which I cant research for you right now.

The bad thing about doing things like this is that if normal.dot gets corrupted, all the work put in to this is lost!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for this reply - it made sense and I see what I was doing wrong now - I have moved the Normal.dot for Word 2003 into the folder containing the normal.dot for Word 2010; but there were two files there - I renamed the Word 2010 as you suggested to .bak and moved it out leaving the Word 2003 version there; the user's Auto-Text data is now there and working.

Much appreciated, thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users