Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 1525

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bk6151

bk6151

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. The keyboard stopped working. I ordered a replacement board and when I started to install it, I noticed the small latch that locks the ribbon cable to the motherboard was broken. Can I replace the latch? If so where can I find one to replace it with? Any help will be greatly appreciated. The computer works fine. It would be a shame to just throw it away.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

Depends on the latch.

Is it the type that flips up to release the cable or is it the one that pulls out slightly to release the cable?

Or if you can post a photo of the latch assembly.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 bk6151

bk6151
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

The latch lifts up to release the cable. The cable is very thin and the latch just holds it in place.

Attached Files

#4 thefr34k

thefr34k

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Using the above picture to help identify the two parts of the keyboard:
If it is the black fold down latch that is broken, this guide has some great suggestions: http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2009/11/17/fix-broken-keyboard-connector-on-laptop-motherboard/
if the off white connector on the motherboard is broken I would imagine you would need a new motherboard. You may be able to purchase a latch and attempt to resolder it in but that would be extremely difficult to do without damaging other components on the motherboard.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

Easiest option if not needed to be portable use a external USB keyboard. I've seen one locally that sells for $29 that is slightly larger than the laptop keyboard it uses as a keyboard that would be portable if the laptop need to be moved around

All the connectors are designed to press down the cable to ensure a connection and that is why just pushing it into the connector will not work.

The type that slides in and out is what I have tried this on and on that one it worked. Someone else had tried to fix it and lost the slide piece. I was able to slice up a business card to the width of the cable and use several layers to get a secure connection and then tape to hold the pieces in place. That one is still in use.

Please note that I have never tried this on the flip up type as shown in your pictures. If there is room to push something stiff in above the cable gently as you do not want to break the white part. See if it works then. If so tape it and be done. Use a good grade of tape that won't dry out and shift around inside the laptop. If it goes in easy try a second piece between the cable and the top of the white connector. Repeat if necessary.

Glass tape, the one with fiberglass fibers in it is pretty durable.

If the cable does not go in far enough then several options depending on your risk factor.

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=%22Inspiron+1525%22+motherboard+ebay&btnG=Search&gbv=1&sei=WtHoTtOtLqbz0gH8m_CbCg shows some inexpensive motherboards under $100 if you feel safe buying on ebay.

Desperation type repairs below and I would only try them if I had to make it look original and I was prepared to order a motherboard if they went wrong.
attach something to the white connector with Crazy Glue to make the slot deeper and try again or, a lite touch with minimal expanding foam keeping in mind that if the foam gets under the cable then big problem.

Edited by rotor123, 14 December 2011 - 11:46 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users