Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It took away my internets

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Danraven

Danraven

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

I can't connect my XP desktop via my wifi due to a malware/virus issue.

Here is the story:

Yesterday at 4pm Avast alerted me to a major issue. It suggested I close everything while it attacked the problem. Silly me, I didn't write down the nature of the attack. I did see a fake-"Security Program" pop up. I had this happened before and knew to ignore it while Avast did the work.

It rebooted my system and started chugging through all the files from the command line.

As it was taking a couple hours to get this fixed, and I had to leave for home, I left it to do its thing and came back this morning.

This morning everything looks fine except that Avast Web Shield is turned off and won't turn on. Worse, while my wireless signal seems to be fine, no internet connection is available. Chrome gives me an error and then seems to be able to send that error. Firefox and IE don't come up at all.

The IE diagnostic says the "Winsock Catalog" is bad, but it can't fix it.

Ran Malaware which found 10 hijackings. Removed them. Still nothing.

Reran Avast. It found 2 things, but I could not get in to remove them. "Fileview" program.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users