Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Assistance!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 steve g

steve g

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hey all, just registered here - hope to be of some use, but first need help myself - I just installed a video game i got from a friend, when i was prompted to restart my computer i did that but since then i cannot access my desktop, or even get to the user log-in screen. It stays in the loading screen with the moving bar for like 20 min then goes blue and says:

"STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component}
This application has failed to start because KERNEL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

and anything i tried has not worked:
i tried to start in safe mode = same result
d/l KERNEL32.dll from website and placed on disk and tried to alter boot sequence = no hope
tried to se F8 and go back to last good known configuration = nadda

i dont want to do the factory restore since i cant backup my 90+ gb of data without gettin to desktop, so i need serious help.... please - i will be very grateful.

ANY HELP, ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

I don't think you can do much there buddy. Im sorry to have to say that the program you installed was likely no video game. Kernal32 is basically the center of all operations on your computer. Without it, you can't do anything. You can take your hard-drive to A computer shop to backup your data, or maybe someone else here can help you with that, but you most likely will indeed have to do A full restore.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:40 PM

i know it is a game - i installed it and all, it was successfully installed and just needed to restart. thanks for fast feedback - think i may have to get it backed up somewhere if they can n restore it.

#4 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:48 PM

You're very welcome, but I am sorry to have to give you such grim news.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#5 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

there has got to be some way to access my desktop, because then i'd be able to back up info and then i wudnt mind so much doing the system restore.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

Try using the boot disks (you were supposed to create when the computer was new) to start the computer.

If you don't have the set of boot disks get them from bootdisk.com or you can use your Windows cd to boot from to repair the op system without wiping the hard drive.

#7 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:50 PM

thanks ill try that tomorrow and let ya know how it goes - im going to have to make one from bootdisk.com... hope it works - wish me luck

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:01 PM

At the risk of overstating the obvious, have you tried System Restore? You should be able to take the system back to just before you installed the software. Another option is a Repair install.

#9 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:55 AM

well i cant access my desktop at all - so i cant try a regular system restore, id have to do the "big" one - which wipes all my dad (im not willing to do that yet).

#10 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

is it possible to reinstall or fix the kernel32 by using the dell resource cd or operating system cd, and if so, how?

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:08 PM

Have you tried "Last Known Good Configuration?"

Microsoft site

#12 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

He said that he connot get to the BIOS menu either. When kernel32 is gone he connot do ANYTHING. Kernel32 is basically the OS itself. Do some research on it.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#13 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

no, i was able to access the BIOS menu - and altered it. Tried to do a repair with the windows OS cd in but then my computer said it couldnt read my hard drive. so another dead end - and yes i tried last good config - nothing......... is there a way to back up memory without my desktop so i can do a big restore? or is there a way i can do a minor restore to about a week ago from here?

#14 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

im thinking of takin it to COMPusa - u think they can backup my harddrive, so then i can do the system restore?

#15 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:25 PM

It's a slim hope but here are some Microsoft tools, mostly from the Recovery Console so you'll have to alter your boot sequence to CD back in the BIOS: http://support.microsoft.com/search/defaul...mode=a&x=8&y=11
Just remember if you follow this road, do EXACTLY as described.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users