Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC Adapter Won't Charge Battery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 SkittleBug

SkittleBug

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

On start up my Dell Latitude D530 laptop shows a warning that my AC adapter isn't working properly. It will work as the power source but it isn't charging the battery. I recently reformatted.. I don't know if that has anything to do with it though. Its not the original adapter my laptop came with either. I got a replacement one on Amazon. Before I reformatted it didn't do this nearly as often. Now it isn't charging at all. I'm not sure what other information is needed. I was thinking maybe I just need to update my drivers because this laptop was new in 2008. I don't want to do anything without asking for help first.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

I've seen this before when a non Dell AC Adapter is used.

The Bios will monitor the battery health and warn you if it needs to be changed. The Dell utility Quikset monitors that too in many cases.

If you go into the Bios and look at the battery section is it showing to replace the battery or unknown ac adapter.
I have seen changing to the real Dell AA Adapter fix a non charging problem. He couldn't believe that the ebay charger was causing that until I used mine and it did charge.

You can look on the bottom of the laptop and see what adapter you need. It will say something like PA-12 family or PA-16 family or indicate that a PA-10 and PA-12 will work with it. Just get the right one.

Any PA-12 Dell adapter will work any Dell laptop that need a PA-12 for example. The family is more important than the part number strangely enough.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

The battery may just need to be replaced, because it is not charging. This will determine if the power supply on the motherboard is actually working as it should.

#4 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Yeah i looked on my adapter and it says a PA- 12 family. i updated my BIOS and Quickset drivers a few days ago. now if i unplug it and plug it back it it'll charge fine. it runs kind of ok now. still cant run cafe world and pandora at the same time like i used to haha. thankyou for replies!!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

On Dell laptops get the drivers from the Dell website.

Drivers from elsewhere may not work as good. Dell hardware seems to like Dell drivers.

On a Dell first thing loaded after a clean install should be the "Dell System Software" Followed by the Chipset. More detailed instructions as to the proper order are on the drivers page.

For optimal performance I would load all the proper drivers from Dell. If you are using any that were installed by Windows they will not give the best performance.

Good Luck

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks. I did use the Dell drivers. It says there are some drivers that were updated so i'm going to download those when I can

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#8 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

Ok, I'm still having the problem. It seems to never charge the battery anymore unless I unplug it and plug it back in over and over. I downloaded the drivers I needed but it still isn't working right. When it's plugged in my computer is so slow. When it runs on battery it's fine. I have NO clue what to do now

#9 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

As rotor123 stated, check in the bios (f2) and look under battery monitor. It will tell you if the charger is being detected.
It will also give you the status of the battery.

#10 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

I know this. I've looked there. It says "AC Adapter = Unknown device installed." How is looking there again going to fix my problem?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

It maybe time to consider buying a new lap top at this point. On some lap tops the charging mechanism starts to die.

#12 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:51 AM

I REALLY wish that wouldn't have been said, haha. I can't afford one yet. There really isn't anything I can do to fix it?

#13 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

When you see the icon of the battery does it say charging underneath?

Yes common for the FDS6679AZ MOSFET to fail on the Dells. But then if you're handy with a soldering iron, the item costs less than 1 to replace.
I know, i've done one this week.

#14 SkittleBug

SkittleBug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I have no clue how to use one of those things. It charges when it wants to

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

I know this. I've looked there. It says "AC Adapter = Unknown device installed." How is looking there again going to fix my problem?

If you reported Unknown Device for the AC before, I didn't see it, Sorry.

ON a Dell laptop in general that means reduced performance and slow to no charging of the battery.
Dells only work properly with Dell batteries and the proper Dell ac Adapter (Charger).

The dell PA-12 adpater has three connections to the laptop. The outside of the shell and the inside of the shell provide the DC voltage. The thin pin in the center is what tells the laptop what adapter is being used. The laptop then at boot time checks to see if the adapter is a good Dell adapater or not. If Not then it runs at reduced performance.

This sounds like your situation. Even if you have a real Dell adapter if that signal on the center wire is gone then it runs at reduced performance. I have also seen where replcaing a generic charger with the real Dell charger made the laptop start charging again.

See if you can find someone with a PA-12 ac adapter to test with.

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users