Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FIrst Time Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheGoBot

TheGoBot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:21 AM

Hey guys, new to the site and needing some help. I am trying to piece together parts to build a computer that will handle Diablo 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Just got a bonus at work and looking to spend a little of it on an upgrade. I don't need top of the line equipment, just something to handle them smoothly (max settings is not important too me).

I have done a little research and have put together a list of parts that I feel might be enough, but I just want to make sure the parts are compatible with each other, what OS I can/should use, and if the power supply will be enough.

I would appreciate any suggestions, and I thank you for your time in advance :)

Budget: $700 (I already have some parts)

Preferred Seller: Newegg.com (I live in Southern California, and will just pick up at warehouse)

Overclocking? Not entirely sure if I need to do this (suggestions would be helpful)

Crossfire/SLI? Yes, I plan to buy one video card now, and adding another within the next month or two.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX925WFK4DGM - OEM

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 100315L Video Card with Eyefinity (Plan on adding a second soon)

HDD: Already have

Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W Power Supply (Will I need more?)

ODD: Already have.

Monitor: Already have.

OS: Have XP, not sure if system is compatible. Will I need upgrade?

Keyboard: Already have.

Mouse: Already have.

Edited by TheGoBot, 13 December 2011 - 04:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

A few things to consider...

CPU: If you think you are going to overclock, get a Black Edition CPU or an FX CPU. The AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz or the AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz.

Cooler: HDT coolers are great, just remember they have a different thermal compound application method and not the standard "dot in the middle" to get the best results.

Motherboard: That's an old chipset on a small motherboard unsuitable for gaming. It also won't do Crossfire. The ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 is great if you don't plan to use Crossfire as the second slot is PCI-E X16 X4 when it is populated with another GPU. For full PCI-E X16 with two cards, you need a motherboard using an FX series chipset, like the 990FX. The BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX is one of the least expensive.

RAM: That will work well. The heatsinks on those may cause issues with fitting the CPU cooler due to their height.

Graphics Card: Tom's Hardware did an excellent performance review of TOR here, MMO's are very hard to benchmark though. The 6850 is considered a midrange card and it is usually best to do Crossfire, or SLI, with two higher end cards as you get more value for your dollar. I would consider, if you want a higher-end card, the GIGABYTE GV-R695UD-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB. Or, if you want just a slight bump in perfomance, the SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB. It is widely rumored that AMD will begin releasing new Radeon 7000 graphics cards starting Q1 2012.

Case: If you are planning on going for two graphics cards, I would suggest a full-ATX due to thermal issues, also, if you are going to go for a longer Radeon 69xx card, make sure it can handle a card almost 11 inches long.

OS: Yes, upgrade! You will not be able to use DirectX 11 with XP and Eyefinity works on WDDM architecture which isn't on XP either, to say nothing about increased security. Besides, if your copy of XP is a system builder edition or OEM, it cannot be used for this due to licensing. Here's a copy.

PSU: Yes, the Radeon 6970, which is the highest end single GPU card AMD has, only requires 550W with the 68xx series requiring 500W. If you are going for two cards, I would get a 750W unit like the ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W.

Edited by DJBPace07, 13 December 2011 - 05:20 PM.

3939.png

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

I would stay away from the FX series entirely. They overclock well, but they're inefficient and power hogs.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

FX are decent CPU's, not as spectacular as everyone hoped, but they do get the job done. Keep in mind, CPU's and most electrical equipment will only use power as necessary, so they aren't much of a power hog until you overclock. Hopefully, the transition to TSMC and future revisions to the Bulldozer architecture will make them better, but AMD seriously overhyped the FX line and, when combined with an unusual CPU architecture meant mostly for highy threaded and parallel programs most consumers don't use, led to disappointment.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users