Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eddie298

eddie298

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

Well my Laptop is a inspiron n5110, its pretty new. THe problem i am having started on and off, Out of nowhere it would say that my computer has lost internet connectivity in the little wireless strength bar icon, then it would gain connectivity a couple seconds or minutes later. out of the 4 people who live here it is only my laptop... but now my computer can't connect to the network at all wirelessly.. at the moment im all cramp up connected to the router by ethernet cable since this is the only way i can get on the internet. The weird thing is its only this connection, when i go home to my real house the wireless is flawless. im a college student who is renting a house with room mates... anyways any help would be appreciated thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

A few thoughts:

Interference can be a big problem with wireless networks. How far the computer is from the router, whether you are behind walls with metal studs, microwave ovens nearby, cordless phones in the vicinity.

• If no connection, try to reseat the wireless adapter card.
  • You said the wireless card worked "at home." Check that wireless card still works on another network nearby.
  • You could check the manufacturer's website to see if there is a firmware update for the router.
  • In case of corrupted drivers, you could go to Device Manager, right mouse click on your wireless card, and uninstall; reboot computer and they should be reinstalled (best to have a copy of these from manufacturer's website in case you need manually reinstall them).
  • Go to the Dell website and enter your computer's tag number to see if there is a newer driver available for your wireless card.
  • Try disabiling security software (anti-virus, firewall) momentarily and see if the connection improves. (Be careful where you surf with this software disabled)
  • Make sure the router Is password protected.
  • If the connection is weak you could take a look at WLAN Optimizer.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 eddie298

eddie298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the response, The Computer is literally like 6 feet away no walls or anything. I'm pretty sure that the card is ok cause its always fine whenever i travel home on the week ends. all the drivers are up to date aswell, and there is a password on the router.

One thing i did notice was whenever one of my room mates comes home that is when the internet connection gets lost, the routers signal is there but no internet. is it possible that the router will dis connect a computer if there are to many systems connected to it? There are 2 xboxs and and 5 laptops... the room mate who i think is making the internet stop has two laptops which i think he uses a lot. My laptop was the last one to connect to the router so could it be like superiority or something?

ps. right now its working cause he went to go study. and i've asked him and he said he doesn't know.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

is it possible that the router will dis connect a computer if there are to many systems connected to it?

How Many Computers Can Share One Wi-Fi Network? Probably not.

Why My Wireless Network Speed is Slow

Anyone running any p2p programs? They tend to bog down most home grade routers with their high amount of concurrent connections.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

hi ed
there is no superiority. if there is a limited IP range available on router then last to try and connect will not be able to, however most routers default to an IP range of 100, so I do not think that is the problem.
more likely your friend is using all the available bandwidth by downloading torrent files, playing games or streaming movies

xbox games will try to use the maximum bandwidth available, as will torrent clients. Torrent clients will max bandwidth unless changed in preferences to throttle them back.

sharing an internet connection is a game of give and take

#6 eddie298

eddie298
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

ah gotcha, lol.. he does seem like a big downloader... its just odd its only my computer. oh well thanks for the information guys. consider this closed :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users